September 30, 2024, 09:38:28 AM

Author Topic: 11/01/13 Live stream of Biloxi, MS show  (Read 15002 times)

Chris Pepper

• Contributors
  • Sky Captain
    • View Profile
Re: 11/01/13 Live stream of Biloxi, MS show
« Reply #75 on: November 06, 2013, 01:50:48 AM »
Also, Chester is doing a faithful rendition of STP songs.  But I think the argument tends to compare what we're seeing today vs. a non interested Scott.  When Scott is refreshed, interested, inspired he's great.  Why not give him an opportunity to get there.  Especially when it makes sense commercially, anyways.  He did the same thing with VR.  It's his pattern to get very difficult if you tour him too much.  What's so hard to see?

EyesOfDisarray

• Contributors
  • Sky Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #76 on: November 06, 2013, 02:44:48 AM »
Chris, I can tell you're not stupid, but you seem to be working through a mind-blowing level of denial here. This all goes way beyond the Deleos just not understanding Scott's eccentricities and being a difficult guy when they tour him too much. I'm not gonna rehash everything we've learned so far, but the other three have made it very clear Scott had become impossible for them to work with. Whoever's "side" you're on, you need to understand that...

There wasn't going to be another album or tour with Scott.

If you don't believe that, then we're just running in circles here.
« Last Edit: November 06, 2013, 02:47:40 AM by EyesOfDisarray »

disasterami

• Contributors
  • Sky Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #77 on: November 06, 2013, 07:26:09 AM »
I watched the whole show and was very disappointed. Chester's very much like Audioslave Cornell where the voice might be there but not much of a performance, very stagnant. I liked what he did for Dead and Bloated, the whole crowd part. Nice way to establish himself with the younger generation and thankful of the opportunity that fans came out to support this version of STP maybe. Black heart too, the guys have so much fun! A lot more touring and he should nail the older songs. But something still seemed missing. There's Chester and there's STP (not kidding about STP with Chester huh?). The STP three on the other hand had their top game on! Also loved the extra bits Dean pulled off with solos and the random jamming. The 4 of em in the recording studio should deliver awesome stuff (wanna see some of the dark stuff- Dean does play out some interesting snippets live that can be used as song ideas), but live looks lacking. Really big shoes to fill indeed.

This has to be the first STP gig video I've struggled to sit through. It was the lil bits that the 3 made it interesting with that made me come back to it. N mind you I'm trying to like this version of our favourite band too.
« Last Edit: November 06, 2013, 07:46:01 AM by disasterami »

Chris Pepper

• Contributors
  • Sky Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #78 on: November 06, 2013, 10:04:21 PM »
Chris, I can tell you're not stupid, but you seem to be working through a mind-blowing level of denial here. This all goes way beyond the Deleos just not understanding Scott's eccentricities and being a difficult guy when they tour him too much. I'm not gonna rehash everything we've learned so far, but the other three have made it very clear Scott had become impossible for them to work with. Whoever's "side" you're on, you need to understand that...

There wasn't going to be another album or tour with Scott.

If you don't believe that, then we're just running in circles here.

I think there's a handful of people here that do not agree w/ the decision to cut Scott loose.  Nevertheless, If I accept the decision that they no longer play with Scott, I think the Deleos would find more success playing as a new band rather than STP.  Chester is a much bigger name than Coutts or Patrick and if they worked it correctly I think they'd find VR type success.  Though in comparison, VR put out Set Me Free as a teaser and then Slither.  These songs rock! and STPw/CB put out the EP which seems to have missed the mark. 

I'm surprised Chester would even take on the challenge with inevitable comparisons to Scott of which IMO (and I'm not alone) he loses by a wide margin.  To me STPw/CB is swimming upstream from the moment they announced their intentions and IMO STP doesn't have a strong enough brand to withstand what they've set out to do.  And if I'm right, then nobody wins.  Most of the all, the fans.   

Blueberry

• Pilot
  • Arrivals
    • View Profile
« Reply #79 on: November 07, 2013, 12:03:08 AM »
Yeah, Chris Pepper, I am one of those people.

I don't like that they fired Weiland. I think STP should have rested and Weiland let his other creative side go to the solo stuff or whatever else, and then Kretz and the Bros to do their own creative thing. THEN come back fresh to STP.

I would have liked for CheSTP to be a brand new band/new name or Talk Show 2.0. I think their keeping the STP name and going forward with Chester is going to ruin the STP legacy. People can say it is all Weiland, but Weiland is the face of STP. All his drama and whatnot goes with STP. No one knows who the O3 members are, so they need the name. Chester can't save STP. He'll always be in Weiland's shadow.

The EP, well, Robert is always saying that they are always writing. If it were true, why does the EP sound rather soft? If you fire the face of the band and you know you're going to get shit, bring out the rock music! Get into people's faces!  The EP does not do that. They better go in head first for the next album or music release, because CheSTP is going down fast.

Look, I bought the digital download of the EP, I have the physical CD. I watched the live stream on Saturday and both encores and enjoyed it, even though I've never liked Chester's voice. I'm going to their concert next month, but seriously, ONLY going to see the 03 and hear the music live. I am trying really hard to get into this new STP. It's not working.

This band is Talk Show/AoA to me. I absolutely liked both bands.

EyesOfDisarray

• Contributors
  • Sky Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #80 on: November 07, 2013, 04:02:01 AM »
It seems there are two schools of thought: one that believes they shouldn't have fired Scott, and one that believes it was a decision they had to make.

I fall into the latter camp. From everything I've heard, it sounds to me like some sort of boundary was crossed where the other three could no longer accept the working conditions with Scott in the band. They've said he asked for more money; maybe he wanted too big of a cut?

Or maybe refusing to sign the agreement about being on time was the last straw, after years of late and cancelled shows? Who knows. It was most likely a combination of reasons, including things we may never hear about.

The point is: the other three felt like they could no longer bend for Scott. I don't think the Deleo brothers and Eric are malicious or doing this for the wrong reasons; they've done nothing to give me that impression. However, stepping back and looking at the big picture, Scott does have a track record of becoming increasingly difficult to work with, for a number of reasons, within this band and others. I don't think he's a bad guy either, but I do question his reasoning right now. And if you've read my posts, you know what I believe is guiding his decision-making at this moment.

No one here knows the full story, but from what I've gathered, I tend to believe what the other three guys are saying. I don't think Scott is being dishonest. I just don't think he has a clear-headed grasp on the situation right now.

miraclepilot

• Ground Personnel
  • Arrivals
    • View Profile
« Reply #81 on: November 07, 2013, 12:50:03 PM »
To go back on topic, the show is on YouTube http://www.youtube.com/user/stonetemplepilotsHD/videos

Full show here: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Yo0RLGxR3Iw

My thoughts: Chester undoubtedly pulls off the songs really well.  I still miss Weiland though, because there was a unique charm in his voice that you won't find in other singers. 

On another note, you can definitely tell Purple is his favorite album as he said in an interview.  Never thought I would see Meatplow and Silvergun Superman live again.  Good stuff.
« Last Edit: November 07, 2013, 12:58:16 PM by miraclepilot »

Chris Pepper

• Contributors
  • Sky Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #82 on: November 08, 2013, 03:21:00 AM »
It seems there are two schools of thought: one that believes they shouldn't have fired Scott, and one that believes it was a decision they had to make.

I fall into the latter camp. From everything I've heard, it sounds to me like some sort of boundary was crossed where the other three could no longer accept the working conditions with Scott in the band. They've said he asked for more money; maybe he wanted too big of a cut?

Or maybe refusing to sign the agreement about being on time was the last straw, after years of late and cancelled shows? Who knows. It was most likely a combination of reasons, including things we may never hear about.

The point is: the other three felt like they could no longer bend for Scott. I don't think the Deleo brothers and Eric are malicious or doing this for the wrong reasons; they've done nothing to give me that impression. However, stepping back and looking at the big picture, Scott does have a track record of becoming increasingly difficult to work with, for a number of reasons, within this band and others. I don't think he's a bad guy either, but I do question his reasoning right now. And if you've read my posts, you know what I believe is guiding his decision-making at this moment.

No one here knows the full story, but from what I've gathered, I tend to believe what the other three guys are saying. I don't think Scott is being dishonest. I just don't think he has a clear-headed grasp on the situation right now.

Yes.  There are two camps. 

The Deleos aren't lying.  Everything they're saying is probably accurate.  We all know Scott has been unbearable for 20 years.  But that is the price you pay to produce the magic both in live performances and future recordings.  Chester does a great imitation, but it's still an imitation. 

Silvergun Batman

• Contributors
  • Pilot
    • View Profile
« Reply #83 on: November 13, 2013, 04:28:20 PM »

Did anyone ever get mp3s of this show?
I got a picture of a photograph ...