October 01, 2024, 11:04:32 PM

Author Topic: Black heart - Official Lyric Video  (Read 5074 times)

kazuality

• Contributors
  • Pilot
    • View Profile
Look I just want to go out sometime you know.  Like normal people, spend time together and enjoy each other's company. Like best friends.  Like lovers that care.  Who actually respect the relationship you know?"

Purple

• Contributors
  • Sky Captain
    • View Profile
Re: Black heart - Official Lyric Video
« Reply #1 on: September 23, 2013, 06:25:47 PM »
It's... interesting.  Not really my style, but definitely cool that they put something like this together
May 17th 2008
July 8th 2009
August 25th 2010
July 19th 2011
September 13th 2011(cancelled day of)

DeadAndNotForSale

• Contributors
  • Sky Captain
  • Would you even care?
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 23, 2013, 06:30:55 PM »
Not really STP but I guess that it's just a lyric video after all.
"I can sit there and feel a deep hatred for Dean and Robert, but when I hear them play guitar, I'm deeply moved." - Scott Weiland '94

STEAK

• Contributors
  • Sky Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 23, 2013, 07:30:47 PM »
That's an "official" video....? 

Seems like everything they've done so far (music, promos, videos) has been thrown together hastily.
"Hey there... how's your steak?"

lovemachine97

• Contributors
  • Sky Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 23, 2013, 08:10:46 PM »
It's an official "lyric" video, which is a bit different than an official video.

Example (and yeah, I like Eve 6; I know it's lame): Eve 6 put out this official lyric video for the first single from their last album [size=78%]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IWwmShaHQXs[/size] on February 2012. However, the official music video [/size][size=78%]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XsE56PvCOJI[/size] came out in April 2012.

I did notice what must be a mistake. In the second verse, the lyric is written "wreck less fashion." I tried to think about how this could be a pun or play on words, but I think it really is supposed to be "reckless fashion."

Could be wrong, however.

DankoJones

• Contributors
  • Sky Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: September 23, 2013, 08:20:16 PM »
A lot of bands do this just to have something out there and its nothing new, although this ones a taf more creative.  We're seeing the band to finally use the web for promotional use at last instead of just relying on air play and touring which is a good thing
« Last Edit: September 23, 2013, 08:23:56 PM by DankoJones »
"There's a dusty rose where the promise of love used to be"

Virgojams

• Contributors
  • Sky Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: September 23, 2013, 08:28:20 PM »
Well I give it up to STP to put together something different and something that they have never done before. While I think it may throw off some fans because it's not an "STPesque" type video, got to keep an open mind about it. We should praise them for going into a different direction with the music video process. Can't complain either. Seems like every week they been throwing something new at us. Very exciting!

8)

lovemachine97

• Contributors
  • Sky Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: September 23, 2013, 08:35:20 PM »
Guys, a music video and a lyric video are really two different things, though that will probably change.

I am realizing that as this is probably new for Eric, Dean, and Rob, it is new for people on here.

As I pointed out above, a lyric video will often come out with the single, and a music video will follow. I gave an example above.

But with music videos not driving the industry anymore, putting out a traditional video isn't necessary, so some bands go exclusively with a lyric video.

If you're around young people enough like I am at school, you'd know their heads are buried in their devices and earbuds are embedded in their head, and the quality of the sound of music doesn't matter much anymore when they are using earbuds are the speakers built in to the iPhone. When they want to play someone a song and they don't have it on their device, they go to YouTube. That's pretty much the reason to have some videos on there.

This is just something visually interesting to have on screen to accompany putting your song out there on You Tube.

Some bands still choose to make videos. Perhaps STP will too.

Sklashboombash

• Contributors
  • Sky Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: September 23, 2013, 09:34:58 PM »
I'm not saying that we all have to be STP fan boys/girls but clearly there's a group of people that will be damned before they are accepting of this new lineup.
STP (w/ Chester) can do no right for some people.
As LoveMachine said, it's a lyric video. Yes, it's put together with less involvement than a 'typical' music video, but it's there as a means of sharing the song on social media, among other things.

Back to the topic at hand, as far as lyric videos go, this one is pretty freken cool.
STP: 07.31.00 | 08.04.01 | 10.24.01 | 04.23.02 | 10.11.02 | 05.31.08 | 09.05.10
SW: 11.30.11 | 03.12.13 | 08.29.14 | 03.10.15
VR: 05.28.04 | 05.18.07 || AoA: 02.01.07
CheSTP: 09.06.13 | 04.25.15 | 09.20.15 || JeffTP: 07.28.18 | 09.15.19

DeadAndNotForSale

• Contributors
  • Sky Captain
  • Would you even care?
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: September 23, 2013, 09:38:32 PM »
I'm not saying that we all have to be STP fan boys/girls but clearly there's a group of people that will be damned before they are accepting of this new lineup.
STP (w/ Chester) can do no right for some people.
As LoveMachine said, it's a lyric video. Yes, it's put together with less involvement than a 'typical' music video, but it's there as a means of sharing the song on social media, among other things.

Back to the topic at hand, as far as lyric videos go, this one is pretty freken cool.

Just to clarify, when I said this wasn't STP, I meant that it did not have a classic STP vibe as far as their past videos are concerned.  I mean nothing as far as Chester vs Scott.  Nobody is going off topic.
"I can sit there and feel a deep hatred for Dean and Robert, but when I hear them play guitar, I'm deeply moved." - Scott Weiland '94

SilverLeaf

• Ground Personnel
  • Arrivals
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: September 23, 2013, 09:40:48 PM »
LP have done some lyric video's for their latest album, so maybe that was Chester's idea. And no it's definitely not an official music video. It's pretty cool for a lyric vid though :)
« Last Edit: September 23, 2013, 09:51:47 PM by SilverLeaf »

Virgojams

• Contributors
  • Sky Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: September 23, 2013, 10:01:39 PM »
   I'm all for this video as well! But what exactly is a "Classic STP vibe" type video?  If we go back a few albums to No.4, they made "No Way Out" by having fans film footage of a STP concert and make it the official video. That was a cool vibe. Not as many people know about that video being released though.
 Then you have "Down" where they just had to use video footage from a concert since Scott was in the can. Then on top of that you have "Trippin" where again they had to grab video footage from their Tiny Music recordings since Scott wasn't around as well to make a video. So clearly they are used to or know what it takes to make a quick video to get out there to the pubic!

8)

Blue

• Your Friend
  • Contributors
  • Sky Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: September 23, 2013, 10:19:10 PM »
Grainy footage, black and white, weird wide-angle close ups. Looks like a vintage grunge style music video to me. Looks right at home next to STP's earlier music videos.

In fact, if I took issue with it it would be because it's too derivative of their early videos in style. But since it's just a YouTube only lyric video, I think it still works quite well.
« Last Edit: September 23, 2013, 10:21:00 PM by Blue »
Grab the hate and drown it out...