July 05, 2024, 03:30:58 PM

Author Topic: Setlists: Will they change?  (Read 4551 times)

hahninator

• Pilot
  • Read between the lines...
    • View Profile
    • LPLive
Setlists: Will they change?
« on: September 09, 2013, 10:06:02 PM »
Hi all. Coming from the LP fan perspective here, so don't shoot me, haha. From what I understand, STP previously would change a few songs at each show they played, right? What do you think about the new era? Of course these are the first shows with Chester but do you think they'll change anything this tour?

Are there any other deeper cuts you'd like to see Chester sing? We know he's an avid fan of the band and knows a lot of stuff apparently. And I think they have rehearsed more than what they are playing. For example, I think Pretty Penny and Black Heart (a new song) have both been rehearsed. Maybe even other new songs were rehearsed too. I'd expect at least 2 more of those new tracks to be played this tour before the EP comes out.

What do you think?  8)

And is the band playing any songs right now you don't really care for?

Purple

• Contributors
  • Sky Captain
    • View Profile
Re: Setlists: Will they change?
« Reply #1 on: September 09, 2013, 10:15:26 PM »
They usually kept the setlist they exact same throughout the tour, but this time it's a different ballgame I think.  Chester is clearly on top of his game mentally, and knows the songs.  Since they've discussed playing Sin and Pretty Penny, I'm sure we'll see them on this tour.  Also, we know that they band wants to be taken seriously in their new direction, so I would say it's a safe bet that we'll see 4 or maybe all 5 of the new songs live.  They seem to love them and will want to broadcast that they're more than an STP cover band.  I expect the setlist to expand from here. 

For me, I'm not huge fans of Church on Tuesday or Sex and Violence.  No. 4, while I love it, is my least favorite album.  I'd rather see them tackle, Wonderful or Seven Caged Tigers.  Still though, I've been impressed.
May 17th 2008
July 8th 2009
August 25th 2010
July 19th 2011
September 13th 2011(cancelled day of)

Blue

• Your Friend
  • Contributors
  • Sky Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 09, 2013, 10:45:10 PM »
Well, regarding old STP, they didn't really change up the setlist between shows. Mostly they'd stick to the same setlist for a leg of a tour, and then change it the next leg.

Now, I think the current formation has a much greater chance at spontaneity. The DeLeo Bros and Kretz are pretty much able to play any song they've written without rehearsing, and Chester seems to have an encyclopedic knowledge of STP and an ability to pick songs up VERY quickly. So if they want to throw in songs they haven't rehearsed yet, I think they'd be able to pull it off just by doing a quick run-through during a soundcheck.

As far as deep cuts I want to see Chester sing... Just about anything, really. The man has shown he has the range to sing any STP song there is. I'd like to see him take a crack at Seven Caged Tigers (because it's my favorite STP song) and Wonderful, obviously. I'd like to see the band finally play Glide after all these years, and Chester can certainly sing it. I'd also like to hear him sing every song off of Purple, if possible.

I DON'T want to see him sing Plush, Wet My Bed, Art School Girl, Adhesive, Hello It's Late or A Song For Sleeping.  Other than that, I think everything should be fair game.
« Last Edit: September 09, 2013, 10:56:29 PM by Blue »
Grab the hate and drown it out...

Chris Pepper

• Contributors
  • Sky Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 10, 2013, 01:21:42 AM »
The more things change, the more they stay the same.   Take the whining out of the bitch and it's still a bitch.

Purple

• Contributors
  • Sky Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 10, 2013, 05:54:33 AM »
My guess is that the set will stay the same until after the EP drops... If they keep it the same afterwards and moving forward.. then I'll be awfully pissed.  Doubt it'll happen though
May 17th 2008
July 8th 2009
August 25th 2010
July 19th 2011
September 13th 2011(cancelled day of)

robrhre

• Contributors
  • Sky Captain
  • Grab the hate and drown it out
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: September 10, 2013, 06:46:12 AM »
I can't believe we are even having this conversation. The Deleo's and Kretz apparently do not like switching up the setlist. I know Scott may be a dick and lie about some things, however, I think he was honest when he said he was the only one who wanted to change up the setlist. If they practiced and rehearsed 30 songs then when are they going to break the other 13 tunes out? This is NOT a long tour, they're already 25% through. Sure, they'll do the classic STP thing and probably bust out some obscure tunes for a few show and then abruptly shelve those tunes and return to the standard setlist. I am 100% disappointed that they are not changing three or four songs a night from the rehearsed tunes and playing longer sets. Shit, these shows have been about 80-90 minutes according to reviews. That is really short. Even Scott plays for about one hour and forty minutes on average (with the exception being the last half of this solo tour). I wish they did what Incubus does with their setlist. Every night Incubus plays about 19-22 tunes, adds about 4-6 different tunes nightly while keeping the others the same. They also change the order around a bit too, so with the new order and new songs the setlist feels completely new even though they really only change about 4 out of 20 songs on average.
« Last Edit: September 10, 2013, 06:47:43 AM by robrhre »
MM 3/10/09 STP 10/6/09 EC 6/19/10 SP7/16/10
STP 10/19/10 3EB 5/11/11 B182 8/12/11
Godsmack 8/16/11 Incubus 9/17/11
Foo's 11/8/11 Bush 12/2/11 JA 3/10/12 Bush 8/1/12
3DG 10/27/12 SW 11/29/12 SW 3/11/13 SW 8-20-13 Pepper 9/14/13 CTE 10/25/13 AM! 1/15/14 Weezer 4/1/14

Blueberry

• Pilot
  • Arrivals
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: September 10, 2013, 07:42:15 AM »
Maybe they're keeping the same setlist for the Original 4 fan. After not changing the band name and all the shit they've gotten, maybe they're trying to keep the O4 fan happy aside from bringing in the LP fan?

PigsinZen

• Hickory Dichotomy
  • Contributors
  • Pilot
  • Superman with Silvergun
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: September 14, 2013, 02:09:33 PM »
STP really should be at least representing each album in their setlist. You can tell Chester is a huge fan of No 4 with the current setlist. But, I would like to see some other tracks off of SLDD or Self Titled get some love.

Blue

• Your Friend
  • Contributors
  • Sky Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: September 14, 2013, 05:32:20 PM »
Yeah, I'm not so disappointed in the lack of variety, but in the length of the sets. Even with Scott, they managed to do 21 song sets at the start of most of their tours. And the reason they appeared to drop songs always seemed to revolve around Scott issues. Scott would miss lyrics, or screw up timing on songs, or would have no energy by the end of the set; so they'd dwindle it down to 17 or 18 songs.

Now they've got Chester, who eats 21 songs for breakfast. They shouldn't be playing less than 19 in my opinion.

The repetition of the same set is forgivable to me at this point. They're a new group trying to win over old fans, they've got a set that works and they're running with it. So if they need to repeat the set to gain footing, I'm ok with it. That said, would it kill them to cycle some deep cuts in Pop's Love Suicide, Sex & Violence and Church on Tuesday's spots?
Grab the hate and drown it out...

Unglued812

• Contributors
  • Sky Captain
  • Jim Morrison is my God
    • View Profile
    • www.ungluedremains.blogspot.com
« Reply #9 on: September 14, 2013, 06:03:37 PM »
Even though it has never been played live, i cant imagine anyone but Scott singing Glide.

Id be...a little pissed off if they play it live now
Seems like you left me when you broke down

robrhre

• Contributors
  • Sky Captain
  • Grab the hate and drown it out
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: September 14, 2013, 07:55:05 PM »
STP has never been a band that plays long sets or changes tunes on a nightly basis. I think it is a little naive of us to think that more than 20 years into their career they are all of a sudden going to start. I said this before, but I believe if Scott was fully in-charge of the set, most shows would be about ninety minutes to an hour and forty-five minutes and the setlist would feature some deeper cuts with slightly more rotation than the standard STP sets. They would basically look like his solo sets with slight variations.
MM 3/10/09 STP 10/6/09 EC 6/19/10 SP7/16/10
STP 10/19/10 3EB 5/11/11 B182 8/12/11
Godsmack 8/16/11 Incubus 9/17/11
Foo's 11/8/11 Bush 12/2/11 JA 3/10/12 Bush 8/1/12
3DG 10/27/12 SW 11/29/12 SW 3/11/13 SW 8-20-13 Pepper 9/14/13 CTE 10/25/13 AM! 1/15/14 Weezer 4/1/14

hahninator

• Pilot
  • Read between the lines...
    • View Profile
    • LPLive
« Reply #11 on: September 19, 2013, 05:39:10 PM »
They added Meatplow and Lady Picture Show last night, as well as debuting Black Heart. Sour Girl was dropped. Looks like the set changes are slowly coming.

The Legacy

• Contributors
  • Sky Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: September 20, 2013, 09:44:22 PM »
i really hope to see Take A Load Off added this tour

Stop That Pigeon

• Contributors
  • Sky Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: September 21, 2013, 12:43:22 AM »
Hi all. Coming from the LP fan perspective here, so don't shoot me, haha. From what I understand, STP previously would change a few songs at each show they played, right? What do you think about the new era? Of course these are the first shows with Chester but do you think they'll change anything this tour?

Are there any other deeper cuts you'd like to see Chester sing? We know he's an avid fan of the band and knows a lot of stuff apparently.

"Wow. I mean wow. Definitely not what I was expecting from this. Chester's voice sounds like the damn overprocessed shit on the Dead By Sunrise album. What in the world? Same On The Inside and Cry Cry are perfect examples.I've never liked STP so I guess this is not my type of jams. Not impressed one bit. Sounds as generic as it gets."  (from lplive.net)

Hi Hahninator, thanks for your interest in STP. Stand-up job on supporting Chester also.

Might I suggest you lay off the Metallica? You might learn something about music. 
;)
« Last Edit: September 21, 2013, 12:45:25 AM by Stop That Pigeon »