October 01, 2024, 12:19:43 PM

Author Topic: Finally found a live revival of Scott's 'Core' voice  (Read 7225 times)

seattlesound

• Sky Captain
  • If night was longer, could I escape the day?
    • View Profile
Re: Finally found a live revival of Scott's 'Core' voice
« Reply #15 on: January 27, 2012, 05:49:11 AM »
Weiland is the man of many voices he changes his voice and uses it as an instrument. Why should he sing every song in the core tone than it would be just boring. I love that he sings in all differnt tones u should take a listen to the pro shot concert in chicago 2010 he sounds amazing there! each stp album is very creative and differnt and a big part of that is cause he changes his voice and tries new things. In that pro shot concert he totally uses the core tone for the core songs with the low growl at least i think anyway.

I'm with you on that. Those pro shot videos from Chicago are amazing. I think his voice sounds fantastic.

STP92

• Contributors
  • Sky Captain
  • Don't let the living die yet!
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: January 27, 2012, 06:16:49 AM »
Weiland is the man of many voices he changes his voice and uses it as an instrument. Why should he sing every song in the core tone than it would be just boring. I love that he sings in all differnt tones u should take a listen to the pro shot concert in chicago 2010 he sounds amazing there! each stp album is very creative and differnt and a big part of that is cause he changes his voice and tries new things. In that pro shot concert he totally uses the core tone for the core songs with the low growl at least i think anyway.

I'm with you on that. Those pro shot videos from Chicago are amazing. I think his voice sounds fantastic.

Weren't those fixed up as well? I'm not entirely sure.

In regards to Weiland changing his voice, I think it's awesome. His voice changes with the band's style as they move along. I couldn't imagine the Core voice on Tiny Music. All I'm saying, though, is that the Core/Purple baritone is probably my favorite of Weiland's many voices.

tumbleintherough

• Contributors
  • Sky Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: January 27, 2012, 06:53:02 AM »
Im sure thats his real voice in those pro shots cause when i saw scott solo in 2009 for the happy tour he sounded so powerful it was the best show i ever went to. ive never seen stp live yet tho... im so mad i gotta see them soon

lovemachine97

• Contributors
  • Sky Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: January 27, 2012, 08:04:23 AM »

They were pretty obviously edited.  Check out this video during the end of the chorus at the 18:34 mark: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hrL6BhwkckI

Notice during the "Tiiiime to take her home," especially the "take her home" part, that there's an obvious Scott overdub.  No one else is at the mic, but that doesn't really matter, both vocals are obviously Scott.

therealcaptain40

• Co-Pilot
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: January 27, 2012, 10:45:40 AM »
Man, I thought you meant it was within the last 2-3 years. But yeah, he needs to quit smoking, drinking and get back in shape like he was in the Number 4 era. However, I remember reading that Freddie Mercury started smoking because he wanted to sound raspier. So shouldn't Scott sound raspy as opposed to nasally? On a different subject, why do I have so much negative karma? I post nice things and never attack anybody.
« Last Edit: January 27, 2012, 10:49:06 AM by therealcaptain40 »

seattlesound

• Sky Captain
  • If night was longer, could I escape the day?
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: January 27, 2012, 02:37:44 PM »

They were pretty obviously edited.  Check out this video during the end of the chorus at the 18:34 mark: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hrL6BhwkckI

Notice during the "Tiiiime to take her home," especially the "take her home" part, that there's an obvious Scott overdub.  No one else is at the mic, but that doesn't really matter, both vocals are obviously Scott.

That's fine by me that there are dubbed parts of the songs. He's singing most of the material through the show, and his voice sounds fantastic in general when singing these days.

Aside from that, I didn't give my thoughts on the "Core" voice itself yet... I'm not going to expect to him sing like he did 20 years ago. Honestly if I looked up a video or something from 2010 or 2011 with him singing in a Core voice during a song like Wicked Garden, it would then seem really suspicious. At that moment I would be thinking there is more going on other than dubbing a few parts of songs.

DankoJones

• Contributors
  • Sky Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: January 27, 2012, 04:22:28 PM »
No doubt smoking impacts one singing voice, hell if you smoke enough it can cause you voice to change period
"There's a dusty rose where the promise of love used to be"

Unglued812

• Contributors
  • Sky Captain
  • Jim Morrison is my God
    • View Profile
    • www.ungluedremains.blogspot.com
« Reply #22 on: January 28, 2012, 12:34:50 AM »
@Manxita

You are right about the voice getting "raspier" with the cigs.
Thats why, i like to have a smoke when im going to sing acoustic songs ;)
Seems like you left me when you broke down