September 29, 2024, 08:36:56 PM

Author Topic: 2011-03-20 - Sydney, New South Wales - Hordern Pavilion  (Read 3723 times)

Tyrant

• Global Moderator
  • Sky Captain
    • View Profile
Can we really find
A lovely magic place we dream of?

"Well hell, sometimes it is difficult to take a shower with a broken heart" - Scott Weiland

trippinjim

• Ground Personnel
    • View Profile
Re: 2011-03-20 - Sydney, New South Wales - Hordern Pavilion
« Reply #1 on: March 22, 2011, 02:49:11 PM »
    After waiting virtually 20 years to finally have STP  visit Australia, the decision to see my favourite band was out of my control.

Problem number one; of the 5 mainland capital cities in  Australia guess which one STP/the promoter chose to skip?  I was gutted.   Adelaide, a city of well over 1 million people and smack bang in the  middle of the continent was overlooked and I struggled to contain my  disappointment.  I emailed the promoters  to no avail, (there is a precedent when Foo Fighters were lobbied and added a  date to their tour some years ago as a result) so I was left with no choice but  to cough the spondoolies and travel interstate.

I then looked online at tickets for both Melbourne and  Sydney only to discover that both shows in Australia's 2 major cities were sold  out. Typical.  I let it fester for weeks  and weeks before then deciding this was too big to miss out.  I got on Ebay and paid nearly double face  value, booked flights and accom and I was set.   A trip to my old home town of Sydney with my wife pursuing the divine  experience.  That's 1415km (880miles) or  further than Chicago or Atlanta to New York!!

Fast forward to the night.  We arrive at the venue and it's wayyyy too  early.  We cruise the precinct, have a  drink.  While sitting outside, I notice  the separate queue for VIP members.   Seemed an average deal to have to get there earlier than anyone else  just get in first for the front row but then be unable to move for fear of  giving it up but each to their own?  At  this early point it was obvious the type of crowd that was drawn to the  show.  Under 30's were in the minority so  clearly it was children of the nineties here to see the band meaning a setlist  of Core and Purple would be most popular. We slowly head in once the gates open  to the venue at 6.30.  Brief look at the  merchandise, nothing of interest and feeling good that the chances of me seeing  anyone else  wearing a No4 t shirt are  nonexistent while there are plenty in the 2 finger tour shirt.

Another drink and we watch the first support act from a  seat knowing we can move down to the front after for a good spot.  Out they come and the lead guitarist blows  and amp before he's even played a note.   A quick swap with the next support and on we go.  Not bad but young and making their way.

Next up Grinspoon.   Kicked arse.  Aussie band who've  had success in their own right over many years and are a well established live  band.  Lead singer Phil shares much in  common with Scott, having had his own personal battles with ICE and as a  performer he's similarly extravagant and a real showman.  Great show from a band perfectly suited to  this tour.  They've had moderate success  in the US so google them up and check them out.

Next up STP.  Their  intro music was nothing recognisable and there was no announcer as they walked  on stage and snapped straight into Crackerman.   From there followed Wicked Garden and Vasoline and after these few I  began to expect some sort of hello/introduction/audience acknowledgement -not  unusual a few songs in.  It never  came.  The band sounded great, performing  brilliantly together, sound quality fantastic in a perfectly suited venue and  the crowd lapped up every moment with an incredible level of audience  participation.  The audience singing  along was noticeable and it seemed the majority knew all the words.

At one point 4 or 5 songs in Dean gestured to the crowd  sharing his happiness and excitement and egging the crowd on and Rob was  similarly demonstrative.  All the while  nothing from Scott save for "This song is..." while his back was  turned at the drum dais.

Perhaps it's just me, but I went to this show with a  feeling or expectation that this tour (Asia & Aust) was making good on  mistakes of the past so far as the band is concerned and so I went to the  Sydney show thinking that it would be something special for the band to be  finally playing in one of the worlds iconic cities and for the De Leos (Scott  has been across Aust with VR) it would be a great time for them away from the  shows themselves (the Bridge, Opera House etc etc).  In light of that, the fact that Scott said absolutely  nothing all night surprised and disappointed me.  Yes, they're there for the music, yes they  delivered but he really, literally only said "This song is..." all  night long.  At VR in Adelaide in 2005,  he was superb with an artistic monologue aimed at the audience which was highly  entertaining.

Having said that, his performance was completely upbeat  .  He moved continually and his voice was  spot on.  Sounded great and body language  was motivated.  He and Dean did their  usual stuff together throughout.  The  band together at the end, showed genuine warmth and comraderie.

How could I complain when my favourite album is Purple  and you look at that setlist!! Silvergun, Still Remains.....all it needed was  No Way Out and another half hour and I'd be forever contented. :)

Surely though we must count our blessings.  This is a tour I never considered possible,  after an album I regarded as unlikely while holding the faintest hope.  Thank you to STP for the fact you made it and  for those of us who don't have the luxury of counting the number of shows seen  on 2 hands, we appreciate the opportunity to finally share the music of our  youth.

Bring on the next album....and a supporting tour!

Crackerman 
Wicked Garden 
Vasoline 
Between the Lines 
Hickory Dichotomy 
Heaven and Hot Rods   
Still Remains 
Big Empty 
Dancing Days (Led Zeppelin cover)
Silvergun Superman   
Plush 
Interstate Love Song   
Huckleberry Crumble   
Down 
Sex Type Thing 
Encore:
Trippin' on a Hole in a Paper Heart

laura

• Contributors
  • Sky Captain
  • Too Cool Queenie
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 22, 2011, 08:00:22 PM »
trippinjim - Thanks for taking the time to write this review.  I enjoyed reading it.  Sounds like the performance was consistent with what we've all been seeing lately.
I am
Trampled under sole of another man's shoes
Guess I walked too softly.--S. Weiland

Aylin

• Contributors
  • Sky Captain
  • Whadayawannano?
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 23, 2011, 12:01:42 AM »
Cool review, thanks!

I agree that Scott should have addressed the audience in some way.  It's not difficult, but means so much to the fans.
I know people will say that it's the music that matters and that it isn't their job to talk to the crowd, but I still think that all the best loved bands have interaction with the crowd to a certain degree.
It seems that fucked Scott rambles on too much at live shows and healthy Scott is just too shy/indifferent/lazy to think of something to say.  I guess this Scott is preferred, but still...

Glad it was a good show otherwise.  They sound great from what we can hear.  And I'm glad they're have fun together...
So keep your bankroll lottery eat your salad day deathbed motorcade

Shangri

• Bad Girl-La Dee Da
  • Contributors
  • Sky Captain
  • "It's like playing in front of 40 000 drummers"
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 23, 2011, 01:08:59 AM »
No D&B?

Good reading trippinjim! I feel you about Scott, it is indeed a bummer. Hopefully it was just the first time ;) Probably next time they arrive to Australia less tired.
I'd take a no interection with the crowd show than an act of demagogy, it's just too sad when bands do that, we DO realize! (don't mean STP is even close to that, just a random comment)
"We grew with the speed of light but crashed in the night"