July 04, 2024, 07:15:10 AM

Author Topic: Too much like Bowie?  (Read 3398 times)

lazydivey

• Arrival
    • View Profile
Too much like Bowie?
« on: December 21, 2008, 09:09:53 PM »
Critics have been calling Weiland a poor man's "(place vocalist here)" since Core.  I can't say that I agree, however, with this in mind, I find it puzzling that Weiland would outright mimic David Bowie on his latest solo release.  There were many references to Bowie upon the release of 12 Bar Blues, but I think those had more to do with Weiland's appearance and genre blending sound than with his voice.  However, he is outright singing like David Bowie on his new album.  Before going any further, take a listen to the verses on Paralysis.  That is David Bowie!  Anyone else have any feelings about this?!
« Last Edit: November 01, 2010, 05:22:09 AM by Ivy »

VelvetLounngeFly

• Contributors
  • Sky Captain
    • View Profile
Re: Re: Re: Album reviews/opinions
« Reply #1 on: December 21, 2008, 10:49:02 PM »
its like a bowie/dylan thing he has recently said he is a disciple of Bowie and in his pictures his got that dylan look and also listen to "tangle with your mind" i mean all artist rip other artists that have influenced them SPECIALLY SCOTT but he just considers himself a spectacle of all his influences.
If you only knew..

BrianLev

• Contributors
  • Co-Pilot
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: December 21, 2008, 11:39:51 PM »
Quote from: "lazydivey"
Critics have been calling Weiland a poor man's "(place vocalist here)" since Core.  I can't say that I agree, however, with this in mind, I find it puzzling that Weiland would outright mimic David Bowie on his latest solo release.  There were many references to Bowie upon the release of 12 Bar Blues, but I think those had more to do with Weiland's appearance and genre blending sound than with his voice.  However, he is outright singing like David Bowie on his new album.  Before going any further, take a listen to the verses on Paralysis.  That is David Bowie!  Anyone else have any feelings about this?!

I disagree completely. While the influence is definitely there, I don't think it's done on purpose. I think Scott tends to sing in whatever style the song seems to call for which is why he's got so many different voices. These songs just called for melodies and vocal styles that may be more similar to Bowie.

But in rock music, there's such a ridiculous expectation that all singers sound 100% different from one another. While of course unique is better, it gets out of hand. People labeled Muse as Radiohead rip offs just cuz the singers both have that high whiny kind of voice. But musically they sound NOTHING alike - they got the label just because of the singer.

Lazy Divey

• Pink love fuzz
  • Contributors
  • Sky Captain
  • Kid'll eat ivy too, wouldn't you?
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: December 22, 2008, 12:18:45 AM »
One too many LazyDiveys on the board.  ::)

VelvetLounngeFly

• Contributors
  • Sky Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: December 22, 2008, 12:52:05 AM »
i think scott does it on purpose he knows how to use his influnces well and he usually sings more like bowie and he's solo and then he dresses like bowie he's great let him do it lol theres an article from back then where he was asked something and he replied "i just wanna be david bowie" its tougher to go out there as a successful band like stp and do that, imagine if paralysis was an STP single  THEY WOULD HAVE GOTTEN SLAMMED! buttsince he's solo he doesnt care as much, Scott has been called gay a poser, unoriginal just everything specially with VR since axl rose is just axl rose but Scott knows what he does vocally he uses his vocals more like an instrument and lays it for the mood of the song BUT if he thinks "hmmm....maybe i'll bowie it" he will.
If you only knew..

Lanegan7

• Contributors
  • Pilot
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: December 22, 2008, 01:09:37 AM »
I think there's a big difference between being influenced and being a complete rip-off. Scott is just influenced.

VelvetLounngeFly

• Contributors
  • Sky Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: December 22, 2008, 01:13:39 AM »
yes a rip offf tends to say theyre not influenced by that person (Scott stapp) cuz they're insecure Weiland knows he like bowie andhe knows he influenced him Bowie and Morrison were huge for him
If you only knew..

BrianLev

• Contributors
  • Co-Pilot
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: December 22, 2008, 02:58:55 AM »
Quote from: "VelvetLounngeFly"
i think scott does it on purpose he knows how to use his influnces well and he usually sings more like bowie and he's solo and then he dresses like bowie he's great let him do it lol theres an article from back then where he was asked something and he replied "i just wanna be david bowie" its tougher to go out there as a successful band like stp and do that, imagine if paralysis was an STP single  THEY WOULD HAVE GOTTEN SLAMMED! buttsince he's solo he doesnt care as much, Scott has been called gay a poser, unoriginal just everything specially with VR since axl rose is just axl rose but Scott knows what he does vocally he uses his vocals more like an instrument and lays it for the mood of the song BUT if he thinks "hmmm....maybe i'll bowie it" he will.

Those are two very long sentences.

VelvetLounngeFly

• Contributors
  • Sky Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: December 22, 2008, 03:31:49 AM »
hahaha sorry i just fight with ppl about that cuz everyone i know likes stp but hate Scott cuz hes a rip off

by the way......................mary mary on my mind uh huh huh
                                     shes my little rock n roll uh huh huh(i hope u people know this song)

or how about..... the sex pistols EMI listen to the end where Lydon goes "I.N.MA!"
VELVET REVOLVER dirty little thing on leno at the end of the song weiland goes "I.N.MAAAA!!!"

its just influences it not like people even notice these things unless they know cool music hahaha
If you only knew..

Comatose Commodity

• Contributors
  • Pilot
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: December 22, 2008, 09:32:37 AM »
he just keeps the real music alive, while all other motherfuckers concentrate on emo, go see Fall out Boy then!
I had the midwife naked and alone

tatiana

• Contributors
  • Pilot
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: December 22, 2008, 11:41:07 AM »
why wouldn't your musical influences show up in your music? it only seems logical.

eta: typing is not my strong point at 6:00 am
Born free. Now I\\\'m Expensive.

VelvetLounngeFly

• Contributors
  • Sky Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: December 22, 2008, 12:34:36 PM »
people just judge like crazy yet coldplay goes out there and gets a grammy for ripping of exact melodies from other arttist
If you only knew..

bedshaped

• Arrival
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: December 23, 2008, 03:58:11 PM »
Being a fan of Bowie and Scott, the influence is obviously there and it's very heavy.  That said, I don't think Scott's trying to hide the fact, especially with a Bowie cover sitting in the middle of his album.

Critics think they are enligtening people or are the first to shed light on it even though Scott leaves it out there for everyone to see.  It's no different from the Beatles influence you hear in Oasis and Coldplay.

SoftVinyl

• Contributors
  • Sky Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: December 23, 2008, 09:36:18 PM »
I like the Bowie comparisions. Hell...what a f**kin' honor. Bowie is GREAT!!!
\'I\'m not paranoid...everyone is just out to get me!\'