September 29, 2024, 10:39:02 AM

Author Topic: Re: Happy In Galoshes Tracklist  (Read 3845 times)

TemplePilot

• Contributors
  • Sky Captain
    • View Profile
Re: Happy In Galoshes Tracklist
« on: September 21, 2008, 01:02:48 AM »
From the Rolling Stone fall album preview:

"There's no rules to the stuff I do on my own," ex-Velvet Revolver frontman Scott Weiland says about his new solo disc. "I don't have to worry about radio playing it." The record — a concept album about his tumultuous marriage — was partially recorded by indie engineer Steve Albini, and features three-fourths of No Doubt. "I liken it to [Marvin Gaye's] 'I Met a Little Girl,' " he says. Unlike the straight-ahead hard rock of Velvet Revolver, the songs range in style from pop ("Missing Cleveland") to light electronica ("January Drum Machine Song"). "If it turns off the Stone Temple Pilot fans, so be it," he says. "There's art and there's commerce and at the age I'm at, I've accomplished the commerce part."

weilandfan

• My username says it all
  • Contributors
  • Sky Captain
    • View Profile
Re: Re: Happy In Galoshes Tracklist
« Reply #1 on: September 21, 2008, 01:31:30 AM »
^^^ an artist should be thinking of his art, not about radio airplay... its why we have such crappy music out there to choose from. I love the fact that for his solo work, he keeps true to himself & is all about the art. he is, in the truest sence, AN ARTIST!!

TemplePilot

• Contributors
  • Sky Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 21, 2008, 01:46:14 AM »
I would like to think that he stays true to his art even if he is with Stone Temple Pilots.  It kind of makes it seem like he isn't.  And when he's with STP, is concerned about radio airplay first.

weilandfan

• My username says it all
  • Contributors
  • Sky Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 08, 2008, 07:49:54 PM »
Thank god hes just not doing a album that the general masses would love!! I love when ARTISTS (which seem to be a kind of dying breed beause everyone is pushed to be commercialized) take a chance & do things that maybe out of the norm. I think really if Scott had not startd his own record co., we may not get this type of album.

I am waiting... I feel like its Christmas & I cant take it much longer!!

andrew

• Contributors
  • Sky Captain
  • I'm the milk man
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: October 08, 2008, 07:53:16 PM »
Quote from: "weilandfan"
Thank god hes just not doing a album that the general masses would love!! I love when ARTISTS (which seem to be a kind of dying breed beause everyone is pushed to be commercialized) take a chance & do things that maybe out of the norm. I think really if Scott had not startd his own record co., we may not get this type of album.

I am waiting... I feel like its Christmas & I cant take it much longer!!

Yeah, I wouldn't expect anything as wacky as "Missing Cleveland" from the guy who released 12 Bar Blues.....
Bleeda blooda

loungefly611

• The Other Scott
  • Contributors
  • Sky Captain
    • View Profile
    • Scott 'The Madness' Stessl
« Reply #5 on: October 09, 2008, 08:17:06 PM »
Quote from: "STPGurl"
I absolutely cannot wait.  Sounds a lot like the last album, with all the warnings that it may "turn off STP fans" - which cracks me up, because it's not SUPPOSED to sound like STP...

When 12 Bar Blues came out, I didn't like it at all. I was one of those STP fans that were turned off. It took me YEARS before I touched the album again.

The masses don't understand that. I believe that who he's directing that message towards.
Dedicated. Disgusting. Disturbing.

I'm just sittin' on this merry-go-round, and the music is too loud..

Wishful Sinful

• Contributors
  • Pilot
    • View Profile
    • http://www.myspace.com/thehopelesspyromantic
« Reply #6 on: October 09, 2008, 08:23:43 PM »
Scott Weiland could make the musical equivalent of a steaming turd and I would probably dig it. That's just how I roll ;D
"Why don\'t you go find yourself a pig to fuck?!"

Shangri

• Bad Girl-La Dee Da
  • Contributors
  • Sky Captain
  • "It's like playing in front of 40 000 drummers"
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: October 09, 2008, 10:02:14 PM »
Quote from: "loungefly611"
When 12 Bar Blues came out, I didn't like it at all. I was one of those STP fans that were turned off. It took me YEARS before I touched the album again.

The masses don't understand that. I believe that who he's directing that message towards.

When 12 BB came out, I didn't know Scott ;D, but the first time I heard it I should play it again to convince myself that 12BB is a great album...there's no need to say that I really love the record!!!
"We grew with the speed of light but crashed in the night"

loungefly611

• The Other Scott
  • Contributors
  • Sky Captain
    • View Profile
    • Scott 'The Madness' Stessl
« Reply #8 on: October 12, 2008, 08:35:45 PM »
Quote from: "EclecticBohemian"
I had a similar reaction Scott.  I didn't actually hate it per se'...I just said "WTF?"  Then it really, really grew on me and I absolutely LOVE it to this day.  It actually made me a bigger Weiland fan.  His taste is so eclectic/eccentric.  I love that...not always the same "cookie cutter" shit that's out there now. 

When I decided to listen to it again, it was after STP broke up the first time. 2003 to be exact. (Same year I rediscovered Pearl Jam's No Code) I listened to it with an open mind and I really got into it. I guess I was either too young to get it the first time around, or that I really wanted this album to sound like an STP album. (Which was probably more likely the reason)

I still am biased toward the Talk Show album. That hasn't grown on me much except a handful of tunes.
Dedicated. Disgusting. Disturbing.

I'm just sittin' on this merry-go-round, and the music is too loud..