September 19, 2024, 07:54:45 PM

Author Topic: Thank You topic  (Read 44273 times)

andrewivanhayes

• Contributors
  • Pilot
    • View Profile
    • http://www.visualmediatrade.com
The Shortcomings of the Thank You DVD
« Reply #225 on: December 20, 2008, 06:57:27 AM »
I was just watching the Thank You DVD again and every time I watch it I become irrate, because of some of the footage that was included and some that was not!!!!

Here are some of the reasons why (feel free to add to this list):

1. When the footage from the 1994 Purple Tour is so good,  why did they choose to not release the entire performance back in 1996 as planned!!!! They basically showed the entire Rolling Rock performance, why not show more of the Purple Tour footage from The Centrum in Worcester, MA??? Give us what we really want!!! However, the inclusion of the "Silvergun" footage is pretty amazing.

2. When they show the footage from the 2000 House of Blues show in Los Angeles, why did they not contact Pay Per View to get the footage from "Wicked Garden", which was not included in the original televised broadcast... they included "Sex & Violence" instead... this is a major tragedy

3. When they show the MTV Unplugged footage, why did they not show the "Big Empty" performance that was filmed, and eventually released as a stand alone video, but was not included in the televised performance of MTV Unplugged...

I guess, as a 16 year STP fan, I just want to be able to have a comprehensive proshot video collection of the highest quality... which is unfortunately never going to happen... a recent reminder, was when the right channel blew after the "Dead & Bloated" intro from last Saturday's KROQ AAC... the video and sound were great throughout and then that ruined the whole thing...

let me know what you guys think.

aH.

Lanegan7

• Contributors
  • Pilot
    • View Profile
Re: The Shortcomings of the Thank You DVD
« Reply #226 on: December 20, 2008, 07:05:22 AM »
The only complaint I have is that they didn't include the "No Way Out" music video. I guess it wasn't an official video?

StoneTempleBrett

• AlternativeNation.net & STPfans.com
  • Contributors
  • Sky Captain
  • Pooper Scooper
    • View Profile
    • AlternativeNation.net
« Reply #227 on: December 20, 2008, 12:49:41 PM »
No "Down" video either.

STP Shows: 5/1/08, 6/24/08, 12/31/08, 7/1/09, 5/25/10, 6/5/10, 10/29/10, 9/22/12, 5/30/13, 9/1/13
Velvet Revolver Shows: 7/22/06, 9/15/07
Scott Weiland Shows: 12/14/08, 12/8/11

Rocketboy

• Cardinal
  • Sky Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #228 on: December 20, 2008, 01:09:56 PM »
My only complaint is the lack of No Way Out.
Otherwise its an awesome DVD.

I guess Big Empty and Andy Warhol from Unplugged would have cool also, but its no big deal for me.

Shangri

• Bad Girl-La Dee Da
  • Contributors
  • Sky Captain
  • "It's like playing in front of 40 000 drummers"
    • View Profile
« Reply #229 on: December 20, 2008, 03:24:20 PM »
My only complaint is I can't get it... well, I can but I can't play it...
"We grew with the speed of light but crashed in the night"

Jim The Stimulator

• The Habs Fan
  • Contributors
  • Sky Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #230 on: December 22, 2008, 02:45:02 PM »
Quote from: "StoneTempleBrett"
No "Down" video either.

The "Down" video is on the Thank You DVD.
We like the cars...the cars that go BOOM!

STP

• Contributors
  • Pilot
    • View Profile
« Reply #231 on: December 22, 2008, 05:40:43 PM »
Quote from: "andrewivanhayes"
they included "Sex & Violence" instead... this is a major tragedy
I disagree. Including Sex & Violence and Tumble in the Rough was a nice shot.

We had the chance to pull out the mainstream songs.
Whatever they say I am, that's what I'm not!

andrewivanhayes

• Contributors
  • Pilot
    • View Profile
    • http://www.visualmediatrade.com
« Reply #232 on: December 22, 2008, 05:57:57 PM »
Quote from: "STP"
Quote from: "andrewivanhayes"
they included "Sex & Violence" instead... this is a major tragedy
I disagree. Including Sex & Violence and Tumble in the Rough was a nice shot.

We had the chance to pull out the mainstream songs.

I understand your point... but for STP collectors who already have the majority of the footage that was included on the DVD, it would have been nice to have more unreleased material... like "Long Way Home", which was never televised on the PPV broadcast of the 2001 Rolling Rock show and the footage from the 1994 Worcester, MA show, which was never released.... Yes, Tumble is a classic, but it was already shown in the PPV broadcast and has been available to media traders for years... I am yet to find an STP fan who would rather hear/see a performance of "Sex & Violence" over the infamous classic, "Wicked Garden"...

no one has ever seen the performances of "Still Remains", "Wicked Garden" and "Atlanta" from the 2000-3-15 HOB show in Los Angeles... it would have been absolutely amazing to have had that footage included on the DVD...

that's the point that I was trying to make here... it's not a matter of degrading any material from the STP catalog, because their music has been the soundtrack to my life over the last 16 years.

regards,

aH.

Sklashboombash

• Contributors
  • Sky Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #233 on: December 22, 2008, 10:05:01 PM »
didn't the deleo brothers once say something about not over-exposing the band, in an interview?

I too wish they would have released the 1994 purple tour show.... among other things...it's not like STP is a studio trickery band...they sound awesome live, so they could certainly have had a lot of great stuff to release....

I really wish they had the SLDD making of on there too...i love that behind the scenes stuff...
and not having released that, i doubt there will ever be a "right time" for them to put that out now.
STP: 07.31.00 | 08.04.01 | 10.24.01 | 04.23.02 | 10.11.02 | 05.31.08 | 09.05.10
SW: 11.30.11 | 03.12.13 | 08.29.14 | 03.10.15
VR: 05.28.04 | 05.18.07 || AoA: 02.01.07
CheSTP: 09.06.13 | 04.25.15 | 09.20.15 || JeffTP: 07.28.18 | 09.15.19

stpnj2008

• Contributors
  • Pilot
    • View Profile
« Reply #234 on: December 24, 2008, 04:47:40 AM »
I wish that had included an electric version of Wicked Garden instead of the acoustic version. The performance from the HOB in '99 would have been perfect.

Silvergun Picture Show

• They Call Me Phil.
  • Contributors
  • Sky Captain
  • Buy a minute, spend an hour burnin' burnin'
    • View Profile
« Reply #235 on: December 26, 2008, 10:57:15 AM »
Quote from: "stpnj2008"
I wish that had included an electric version of Wicked Garden instead of the acoustic version. The performance from the HOB in '99 would have been perfect.

I tell you what, that show from 08-12-99 - HOB las vegas, NV. is probably one of my two fav STP shows. I have seen/heard. The other one being the centrum show from 94, glad to have the full show on audio. They sound AMAZING in the HOB show. Scott's vocals are perfect. I would love to get my hands on that whole show somehow, someway.

If you want a definition of a pheonix rising from the ashes I would play anyone that video footage, brilliant.
STP: 08/22/10 - Cleveland, OH.
        08/28/10 - Pittsburgh, PA.

"Some of my finest hours have been spent on my back veranda, smoking hemp and observing as far as my eye could see."
-Thoman Jefferson

Sin

• Contributors
  • Pilot
    • View Profile
    • http://profile.myspace.com/index.cfm?fuseaction=user.viewprofile&friendid=127989536
« Reply #236 on: December 28, 2008, 09:06:43 PM »
They should have included stuff from the Tiny Music tour. I loved Scotts voice back then. Lady Picture Show at the MTV Spring Break '97 thing was AWESOME!

Include No Way Out

Better Bootlegs. Inclusion of the Aerosmith thing was cool but quality sucked. Pops Love Suicide in only 20 seconds. The only bootlegs I enjoy watching are Dead and Bloated, Creep, and Where the River Goes
Sin makes me strong.

STP76

• Contributors
  • Flight Attendant
    • View Profile
« Reply #237 on: January 02, 2009, 05:49:30 PM »
i had a chance to ask robert why they never released the purple live show, and he told me at the time when they looked over the footage at first they werent real crazy about it. a fews years later, he went and weatched it again and he said it was better then he thought. he told me sometimes they are to critical of themselves, and that it might see light one day. i guess that day came on thank you dvd. this conversation took place in 1997, so a lot can change