September 28, 2024, 08:26:12 PM

Author Topic: Vocals too low?  (Read 4226 times)

Long Way Home

• Contributors
  • Pilot
    • View Profile
Vocals too low?
« on: September 18, 2008, 02:51:12 PM »
On first listen, I really like both songs. Like someone else said, I am also surprised at how polished it sounds, but they are great songs. I think Douglas Grean deserves some credit on this as well, because it seems to me he may have reigned in Scott a little on the “funky” sounds of 12BB.

As far as the vocals seeming low, we do have to remember that these are probably not album quality tracks, so the vocals may be a little higher when we get the finished project. I do agree the drums really come through on what we have so far.

I am really excited about the album and the tour. I think the album title is great. . .
« Last Edit: November 01, 2010, 03:52:57 AM by Ivy »

Five Star Edge

• Contributors
  • Sky Captain
    • View Profile
Re: Vocals too low?
« Reply #1 on: September 18, 2008, 05:29:37 PM »
Yeah, what is up with the low vocal mix?  This is HIS solo album so you would think his voice would be upfront. 
I’m here to bleed for all the lust and lonely nights.

StoneTempleBrett

• AlternativeNation.net & STPfans.com
  • Contributors
  • Sky Captain
  • Pooper Scooper
    • View Profile
    • AlternativeNation.net
« Reply #2 on: September 18, 2008, 08:49:32 PM »
Quote from: "Five Star Edge"
Yeah, what is up with the low vocal mix?  This is HIS solo album so you would think his voice would be upfront. 
Matt Sorum broke into Douglas Green's studio and lowered the vocal mix!

STP Shows: 5/1/08, 6/24/08, 12/31/08, 7/1/09, 5/25/10, 6/5/10, 10/29/10, 9/22/12, 5/30/13, 9/1/13
Velvet Revolver Shows: 7/22/06, 9/15/07
Scott Weiland Shows: 12/14/08, 12/8/11

weilandfan

• My username says it all
  • Contributors
  • Sky Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 19, 2008, 12:37:31 AM »
Quote from: "StoneTempleBrett"
Matt Sorum broke into Douglas Green's studio and lowered the vocal mix!

HAHAHHAHA!! sounds like Matt!! jealous bastard that he is!

wayne gretzky

• Contributors
  • Sky Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: November 25, 2008, 07:29:23 PM »
JUst picked it up myself and listened to it.  Is it just my car stereo but whats the deal with the mix, Scotts voice is barley audible on alot of tracks.  Not to impressed with what ive heard from the new songs on the deluxe cd, i can tell why those didnt make it to the single disc, but i have to give them a few more listens.

rymo84

• Contributors
  • Co-Pilot
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: November 25, 2008, 07:36:09 PM »
Quote from: "wayne gretzky"
JUst picked it up myself and listened to it.  Is it just my car stereo but whats the deal with the mix, Scotts voice is barley audible on alot of tracks.  Not to impressed with what ive heard from the new songs on the deluxe cd, i can tell why those didnt make it to the single disc, but i have to give them a few more listens.

I would agree that some of the mixes seem odd. It's his solo album yet his voice is being drowned out by the backing music. I haven't got to album 2 yet but I did notice it on a couple tracks on the first one.

Vaporized

• Contributors
  • Sky Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: November 25, 2008, 07:43:02 PM »
You're not liking the mixes because Steve Albini did the mixes. Check out the songs you don't like the mixes on and see if they were mixed by him. Most people either love him or hate him. He still does things the old school way... reel to reel, splicing tape together and hasn't moved towards the new digital ways of mixing. I have never really been impressed with ANY of Albini's mixes.
Take it.

Five Star Edge

• Contributors
  • Sky Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: November 25, 2008, 07:56:49 PM »
Quote from: "Vaporized"
You're not liking the mixes because Steve Albini did the mixes. Check out the songs you don't like the mixes on and see if they were mixed by him. Most people either love him or hate him. He still does things the old school way... reel to reel, splicing tape together and hasn't moved towards the new digital ways of mixing. I have never really been impressed with ANY of Albini's mixes.

I don't think it's just Steve Albini.

The last several releases from Scott (begining with No.4), I have felt his vocals were mixed too low in a majoirty of the songs.

I am begining to feel that this is just the way Scott likes it.

oldleadbelly

• Contributors
  • Pilot
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: November 25, 2008, 08:21:12 PM »
Its jst makes it so frustrating, first time listening to "blister on my soul" i couldnt even hear his voice, makes it unlistenable

Yeah, can't hear his voice for shit on at least half the tracks.  It isn't just your stereo either, b/c the new Killers album is vocally loud and clear.

wayne gretzky

• Contributors
  • Sky Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: November 25, 2008, 08:31:43 PM »
The album i dwnloaded album seemed to be more clear .. i almost regret buying it

wayne gretzky

• Contributors
  • Sky Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: November 26, 2008, 12:50:32 AM »
I dont see how that makes sense, shouldve let it an instrumental .. his voice sounds real good on "i know it too later", to bad his voice isnt that clear on most of the album cuts

Five Star Edge

• Contributors
  • Sky Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: November 26, 2008, 12:57:16 AM »
I dont see how that makes sense, shouldve let it an instrumental .. his voice sounds real good on "i know it too later", to bad his voice isnt that clear on most of the album cuts

The only songs that I feel that the vocals are too low:

Missing Cleveland (chorus)
Tangle in my Mind (chorus)
Paralysis (full song)
Pictures and Computers (chorus)
Blister on my soul (full song)

everything else sounds good to me :)