October 03, 2024, 06:22:35 PM

Author Topic: 2011-08-10 - Pittsburgh, PA - Trib Total Media Amphitheatre  (Read 8974 times)

RailBrews

• Contributors
  • Pilot
    • View Profile
Re: 2011-08-10 - Pittsburgh, PA - Trib Total Media Amphitheatre
« Reply #15 on: August 11, 2011, 02:32:40 PM »
This was a fun foray in Pittsburgh. Got in to town Tuesday and parked over on the North Side. Headed to the Andy Warhol Museum, hit Jerome Bettis' Bar and Grille for dinner and then walked across the street to see A Perfect Circle at Stage AE(great show), Red Bacteria Vacuum opened for them. Decided to stay at a hotel in Pittsburgh after the show. Woke up Wednesday and went into the Strip District for breakfest over at Pamela's and then on to the Heinz History Center which was fun. Then , on to the South side for some light shopping and STP.

Jet Stream opened up followed by Rose Hill Drive who said it was their last night with STP on the tour and they thanked the band. I have enjoyed their sets and they have played at 3 of the 4  STP shows I have seen in the last year.

STP came on around 930. Bi-Polar Bear and D&B were not played but the rest of the regular recent setlist was played. The band sounded great and Scott seemed in a pretty good mood.  We were on the rail left center. I think we were next to Daisy Girl but I am not quite sure, if so, I KNOW she had a great night!

This was a late arriving crowd but a solid crowd by the time STP came on.  As some may remember, the last STP show in Pittsburgh about a year ago was at a different venue about 30-40 minutes outside of the city. That show had some issues as Scotts vocals were not played on the speakers to those seated in the lawn area  until the last  three or four songs of the evening. No major technical issues at this show though.  Another bonus was the weather, this was an outdoor venue and the weather was perfect.

Have some other tidbits and several pictures, will post some when I get them uploaded off the camera.

Sad Daisy Girl

• Danielle
  • Pilot
    • View Profile
    • FB
« Reply #16 on: August 11, 2011, 05:34:11 PM »
We were on the rail left center. I think we were next to Daisy Girl but I am not quite sure, if so, I KNOW she had a great night!

I was left center also!!!!

I am still on cloud 109..... We only waited in line since 3 to get front row... so worth it. The show was awesome!!! I was shocked when Scott admitted he grew up as a Browns fan, and then everyone started booing, so he ended off his little speech with something like, "...That's why the Steelers are the best team around...." Good save.

I told myself I was NOT leaving the show empty handed... At the end of Big Empty.... I could have sworn Dead made the hand movement like he was going to toss something out... So I reached out as far as I could and realized he wasn't.... He saw me do that and tossed his slide to me.... Steve aka Hazy Daze actually caught it but handed it to me :) Someone offered me $50 for it after that.... haha no way, Jose.

Some guy gave me his card after taking pictures of the crowd and band, Coda Photography.
Stone Temple Pilots: 5.20.08, 8.22.10, 7.19.11, 8.10.11, 9.7.11

Sad Daisy Girl

• Danielle
  • Pilot
    • View Profile
    • FB
« Reply #17 on: August 11, 2011, 09:28:57 PM »
I am clearly way too happy.

shapy

• nice to know me
  • Contributors
  • Sky Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: August 11, 2011, 09:57:15 PM »
@RailBrews glad to hear you enjoyed another perfect show! I agree, nothing beats great outdoor weather for an awesome show!

@SadDaisyGirl also glad to hear you enjoyed the hell out of the show! That pic says it all! Classic!
have fun, have fun, have a whole lot of fun!

laura

• Contributors
  • Sky Captain
  • Too Cool Queenie
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: August 11, 2011, 10:16:24 PM »
I think SadDaisyGirl needs to change her name to HappyDaisyGirl.  Gorgeous photo!
I am
Trampled under sole of another man's shoes
Guess I walked too softly.--S. Weiland

Shangri

• Bad Girl-La Dee Da
  • Contributors
  • Sky Captain
  • "It's like playing in front of 40 000 drummers"
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: August 11, 2011, 11:48:12 PM »
Only $50?! that's an insult! hahaha
"We grew with the speed of light but crashed in the night"

RailBrews

• Contributors
  • Pilot
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: August 14, 2011, 12:47:52 AM »

Some guy gave me his card after taking pictures of the crowd and band, Coda Photography.

That was Rich Frollini. Was talking with him a little bit as he apparently shot some pictures of Army of Anyone when they were in Pittsburgh years ago. Here is the site, Rich also has a STP photo gallery linked in with his write up:

http://codaphoto.com/

RailBrews

• Contributors
  • Pilot
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: August 14, 2011, 01:01:37 AM »
Here is a shot behind us from the rail before the rest of the people showed up:

RailBrews

• Contributors
  • Pilot
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: August 14, 2011, 02:13:16 AM »
Scott talked about growing up in the Cleveland area as a Browns fan(boos). He said that he then became a Steelers fan as they were the winning team from the region(cheers). Somebody shout "What about Ohio State!" and Scott chuckled and said," Oh yeah, Ohio State too." It was funny because the night berfore, the only thing Maynard Keenan said for the first 90% of the APC show was that he thought the Steelers could go all the way this year and then pointed at James Iha who gave a thumbs up, the Steelers must be James' team too.

Scott was heavily layered at this show which is not uncommon for Pittsburgh but usually reserved for winter. He had a dress jacket, vest, dress shirt that was unbuttoned, a tie, an undershirt, boots, glasses, a belt, that leopard belt, a hat, and what appeared to be an ascot. My girl fiend was amazed that Scott can carry off this ensemble with confidence and make it work.

The security pit at this show was huge, probably 12-13 feet wide. This resulted in one of Deans slides and several of Roberts picks ending up in the security pit. one guy tried to get the slide and was kinda jacked up by a security guard as the guard did not see Dean throw the slide. the guard looked to have apologized to the dude a little later in the show. If Purple was at this show and did a stage dive like he did in East Lake, he might not have cleared that security pit!

There were a few girls that tried to storm the rail but they ran in to another batch of girls who were having none of that, and a fight broke out. This was a fairly solid crowd for a Wednesday night show.

The owner of the venue and an entourage were stage right in the security pit. He is apparently a STP fan.

Scott said that he really enjoyed the venue and view and was sometimes scanning the backdrop and landscape of the city. The time on the show was about an hour and a half.   

RailBrews

• Contributors
  • Pilot
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: August 14, 2011, 02:21:03 AM »
At one point in the show, Dean motioned a few times for Scott to come over to his side but Scott did not see him, he started wandering over behind Robert and was trying to get around Robert but Robert unknowingly kept moving in front of Scott, so Scott decided to stand behind him for a bit and hide until Robert finally figured out that he was there.

RailBrews

• Contributors
  • Pilot
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: August 14, 2011, 03:05:03 AM »

Sad Daisy Girl

• Danielle
  • Pilot
    • View Profile
    • FB
« Reply #26 on: August 14, 2011, 07:45:38 PM »
RailBrews: Were you the one who showed up second in line?

RailBrews

• Contributors
  • Pilot
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: August 15, 2011, 01:13:04 AM »
RailBrews: Were you the one who showed up second in line?

Indeed, with the Scott Weiland Happy shirt on. We will have to say hi next time we cross paths on the rail. We usually like to park ourselves over in front of Robert.

Sad Daisy Girl

• Danielle
  • Pilot
    • View Profile
    • FB
« Reply #28 on: August 15, 2011, 03:00:46 AM »
I knew it!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

p.s. You kind of look like Robert.

RailBrews

• Contributors