October 04, 2024, 04:25:38 AM

Author Topic: dean deleo,how good is he  (Read 16623 times)

Eijoo

• Contributors
  • Pilot
    • View Profile
Re: dean deleo,how good is he
« Reply #45 on: June 09, 2010, 11:36:28 PM »
dean's got it all! after all he's a guitar God(=^;^=)
Songs are emotions in sonic form and I had a lot of emotions at the time. And each of those emotions inspires its own sound."- Scott Weiland on recording "12 Bar Blues" album

ohyeahkoolaid

• Flight Attendant
    • View Profile
« Reply #46 on: June 10, 2010, 10:03:22 PM »
I think dean's an amazing guitarist. He obviously has skill in the instrument. Do I think he's the best of the 90s? Certainly not. In my opinion, Dean's really just got one real tone to his sound (a common complaint about Les Pauls). I would prefer if he got a more treble in his sound. Even when playing something like a Tele, his tone is still just so thick. Some people love it, but it's really not my thing. I also think that Dean's sound and style also ultimately stayed the same throughout STP's whole catalog. I think someone like Mike McCready showed more range as a guitarist throughout the 90s, for example.

That all being said, I still think it's pointless to compare him with  Page, Slash, Hendrix, etc etc and decipher who's better, since they all have their own qualities and appeal to different people. They all do their own thing in their own way.

rockdude_unglued519

• Co-Pilot
    • View Profile
« Reply #47 on: June 10, 2010, 11:01:22 PM »
I would respectfully disagree about McCready showing more range. I know tons of people would feel the opposite, but one of my bigger complaints about pearl jam is their lack of range especially in the vocal sense. I'm def not as familiar with their catalog as a whole.  But I do feel Dean has evolved quite respectfully. I would use the psychadellic/sludge grunge sound of Core to some of the some of the rock,country and raw punk feel he has displayed throughout to even cinnamon present day.

lovemachine97

• Contributors
  • Sky Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #48 on: June 10, 2010, 11:06:18 PM »
It's funny.  Working at a music store, and as a guitarist, these discussions come up ALL the time.  I told a customer once how much I love Clapton, and I got a 30-minute dissertation about how great Hendrix was and what a coward Clapton was (apparently, this guy thought that when Clapton joined Delaney & Bonnie he had joined Bonnie Raitt in order to "cower" in fear over what Jimmy was doing.  I didn't have the heart to tell him he had his Bonnies confused).

Anyway, I try to cut these conversations short unless they are ridiculous.  When Rolling Stone put out it's 100 greatest guitarists list, Kurt Cobain and Jack White were in the top 20 while Eddie Van Halen was number 70 (which put him behind not only White and Cobain, but also the likes of Ike Turner, John Fogerty, and Jerry Garcia).  This made me realize that if those guys can come in ahead of EVH on a list of the greatest, then it is EXTREMELY subjective.

I notice that when I like a guitarist and I am listening to them a lot, I start to notice parts of their playing showing up in mine.  When I was recording an album with my band back in the day, I was listening to a lot of Clapton, Slash, Morello and EVH, and you can hear that sprinkled throughout the recording.

Slash and Dean are both descendants of the bluesy rock God, which finds itself intertwining Beck, Clapton, Page, Hendrix, and EVH (yes, he's essentially a blues player), amongst others.  But you can see how differently these rock guys can incorporate blues styles into rock.  Further, Dean's influences come from a wider variety, going into country, jazz, and bossa nova, as well as classic rock, which is Slash's biggest influence.

I would say that, hands down, I prefer Dean's approach to tone, and  variety in tone, than Slash's same old one sound for clean, one sound  for dirty. 

I prefer Dean's (and moreso) Rob's approach to songwriting and chording than I do Slash's.  That's not to say that complex fingerings and arrangements are "better", but to me it shows a better command of the instrument than Slash.  The use of jazz and bossa nova voicings make guitar soloing more complex as well.  Still, the art of writing a great pop song from the same 3-5 chords that most people use--and making it sound new and/or interesting is a talent as well.  In that way, I love songs like Fall to Pieces for their simplicity.  Still, a song like Sour Girl is pop-tastic while using more flavorful chords.

This idea, of course, segues nicely into soloing.  Some people like blistering, in-your-face soloing.  To me Slash is great at this (though he is not as fast as many think--he starts playing behind the beat in famous solos like Paradise City).  His approach is unique.  His fast runs into solos are great (like You Got No Right or Dirty Little Thing), but sometimes, he comes out of the gate swinging and it does not work (like She Builds Quick Machines).  As far as versatility, Slash is more limited.  However, he has created famous "licks" in his solos that, if you're covering one, you HAVE to play.  There are licks in Sweet Child O'Mine that you HAVE to play.  You HAVE to play the end solo lick in November Rain.  Slash, being more of a traditional blues player than Dean, is also a more interesting player when "jamming" than Dean is.  So, Slash has his strengths and his weaknesses.

Dean, is just much more versatile.  He has also come a LONG way as a soloist.  He has gone from an average-to-below average solist for most of the first two records into a fantastic soloist on Tiny Music and beyond.  Slash would not be nearly as good on a song like And So I Know.  Dean's tasty playing has become his hallmark.  He also knows when a song does NOT need a solo.  A song like Atlanta could have had a guitar solo at the end, but he restrained himself for the purposes of the song.  This tells me that Dean is more focused on what the song needs, not how he can fit his guitar needs into the song.  Dave Kushner, for anyone that's seen VR live, can freaking play guitar--yet there are solos in almost all, if not all VR songs, and Kushner doesn't play any of them.  This tells me Slash has an ego about putting guitar solos into each song.  For as great as Dean is, though, if you're not a flashy player today, it is tough to get attention.  Further, GnR was SO huge that Slash's signature licks are enjoyed by fans of all kinds of music.  STP's fanbase is more limited.  Therefore, Dean's signature solo licks are not as vital.  To me, the descending lick near the end of Lady Picture Show (the lick that starts E-->D#-->E-->C#-->E-->B in the 12th position) is as vital as the lick in November Rain when covering the song.  But everyone in the bar knows November Rain and the end solo, so if you don't play it, they'll notice.  Perhaps only a few people would notice if you didn't play the lick at the end of the Lady Picture Show solo.

Because of the hit songs with signature licks, his ability to play flashy, and the fact that his personality is bigger than any band he could ever be in again, Slash will always be considered "better".  He'll get the call to play on some dude's record from another genre, or the call to play alongside Michael Jackson, or whatever.  It also helps that as a player that wears his blues influence on his sleeve, he fits into almost any situations seamlessly, even if the end result is predictable.

Ironically, Dean seems to repeat himself in jam situations.  I hear the same licks on bootlegs when the band "jams".  He is not as comfortable outside of the song.  So while Slash will get the "come jam" call, his predictable playing in that situation will surpass what Dean would do.

In my opinion, this makes neither guitar player better or worse, just different.  But, if I were to pick the guitarist I would rather be, it would be Dean.
« Last Edit: June 10, 2010, 11:14:06 PM by lovemachine97 »

rockdude_unglued519

• Co-Pilot
    • View Profile
« Reply #49 on: June 11, 2010, 12:01:07 AM »
I don't even play guitar, although I attempt to study it. As a vocalist I am more into writting melodies and lyrics, but you are fucking brilliant. I agree with almost everything you said in this post which is rare for one of this length and depth. I am curious as to what your opinions of Robby Krieger are? He's one of my favs and I find him to be grossly underrated

Sklashboombash

• Contributors
  • Sky Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #50 on: June 17, 2010, 09:34:02 PM »
Let me first say that I enjoy both Dean & Slash.

But here’s something to consider: What would Slash sound like in a band in which he was the only guitarist? Not saying he’s not capable, but Slash bases all his playing and solos on the fact that he has a rhythm guitarist present.

Now, listen to Dean…as the only guitar player. Nuff said.

Dean continues to wow me, especially with his slide playing. But all around his solos and chord voicings are excellent. Slash’s best guitar work (especially memorable melodic solos), IMO, was with GnR…a long, long time ago.
STP: 07.31.00 | 08.04.01 | 10.24.01 | 04.23.02 | 10.11.02 | 05.31.08 | 09.05.10
SW: 11.30.11 | 03.12.13 | 08.29.14 | 03.10.15
VR: 05.28.04 | 05.18.07 || AoA: 02.01.07
CheSTP: 09.06.13 | 04.25.15 | 09.20.15 || JeffTP: 07.28.18 | 09.15.19

Unglued

• Contributors
  • Pilot
    • View Profile
« Reply #51 on: June 17, 2010, 09:35:30 PM »
Dean is the Efffing Man!

bigkurm

• Ground Personnel
    • View Profile
« Reply #52 on: June 19, 2010, 02:17:16 AM »
He can't match some of the greats of the past, but he is WAY better than most newer guitarists today.  The newer bands can't make a good solo like Dean and some bands need 3 guitarists to match his sound.  I love how STP only has 1 guitarist in their band.   It pushes Dean to bring it every night!

lovemachine97

• Contributors
  • Sky Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #53 on: July 15, 2010, 01:13:59 AM »
I think it just depends.  I'm not going to question George Harrison's playing because Lennon and McCartney might also be playing guitar.

Sometimes your style tends to adapt to what is laid out in front of you.  Edward Van Halen developed a style that combined rhythm and lead, and the Edge developed a style where he fills up tons of room in the sonic spectrum as a rhythm player.  But that doesn't inherently mean that that player is better than a player who also has a second guitarist.  One could equally argue that someone who has lots of room to play and fill up space within the context of a band has it easier than someone who has to learn to play more tastefull, as well as play off another guitarist.

I don't agree with either assertion.  I think the 3 guitarists in Counting Crows are great because they compliment each other very, very well.  If any one of them were as busy as EVH, it'd ruin it.

On the other hand, I highly value Eddie's playing, or Stevie Ray Vaughan's playing as the only guitar players.