September 20, 2024, 03:51:01 AM

Author Topic: About A Fool  (Read 9518 times)

Rik

• Webmaster
  • Administrator
  • Sky Captain
    • View Profile
    • http://www.belowempty.com
About A Fool
« Reply #15 on: July 05, 2004, 07:16:30 AM »
i'm still intrigued as to how eric got his hands on this stuff.
Who is this mysterious "Eric" that came upon these files?
If I'm not mistaken, it's the same Eric who put together the Acoustic Type Thing CD years ago.  Isn't he Australian?  There was a guy around the community who ran one of the original unofficial websites (before Sean).  I thought this guy just disappeared.  But I haven't kept up much in the last few years.
The guy who compiled Acoustic Type Thing was Dave Miller, he was indeed Australian. Erik Bates took over the Silvergun Supermen site from him at a later point. There was another Eric around in those days, his name was Eric Walker, and he co-founded Below Empty with me. It's not either of these Eri(k)cs nor Eric Kretz (as was suggested on another message board) who provided these files. It's someone who has never been part of the online community, but felt like we should hear these songs he had in his possession since the 2001 Family Values Tour.
« Last Edit: July 05, 2004, 07:16:58 AM by Rik »

STPGurl

• Original Bad Girl
  • Cardinal
  • Sky Captain
  • Sucker for SRW
    • View Profile
    • SWBGC
About A Fool
« Reply #16 on: July 05, 2004, 05:54:35 PM »
i'm still intrigued as to how eric got his hands on this stuff.
Who is this mysterious "Eric" that came upon these files?
If I'm not mistaken, it's the same Eric who put together the Acoustic Type Thing CD years ago.  Isn't he Australian?  There was a guy around the community who ran one of the original unofficial websites (before Sean).  I thought this guy just disappeared.  But I haven't kept up much in the last few years.
The guy who compiled Acoustic Type Thing was Dave Miller, he was indeed Australian. Erik Bates took over the Silvergun Supermen site from him at a later point. There was another Eric around in those days, his name was Eric Walker, and he co-founded Below Empty with me. It's not either of these Eri(k)cs nor Eric Kretz (as was suggested on another message board) who provided these files. It's someone who has never been part of the online community, but felt like we should hear these songs he had in his possession since the 2001 Family Values Tour.
Eric Walker - THAT was his name!  It was driving me positively nuts!  :)
How could they not notice it?! Because it's a little mint.  It's a Junior Mint!

Sledgehammers of Truth

• Contributors
  • Pilot
    • View Profile
About A Fool
« Reply #17 on: July 05, 2004, 07:40:55 PM »
That's who I was thinking of!  Thank you for clearing it up. It's weird that this happened just days after Robert DeLeo posted at the dot com board though.  Is it just a coincidence or is there more to this?  And does anybody know if RD has plans to go through with his promise to release more of the unreleased stuff?  I'm dying to hear more.

JohnL

• Contributors
  • Pilot
  • Light My Way
    • View Profile
About A Fool
« Reply #18 on: July 05, 2004, 11:17:26 PM »
Looks like we just heard the holy grail of stp.....Has anybody talked or heard from Dave Miller? Last time I talked to him it was around 1997. lol

Anonymous

Stp Behind
« Reply #19 on: July 06, 2004, 01:26:01 AM »
Hey all - I was listening to "About A Fool" and couldn't help but feel that the chorus (starting with "Still I wonder...") has chords/melody very similar to parts of "Behind" from Talk Show days.... maybe I'm just crazy  :P   In any case, this stuff is amazing and makes me sorely miss STP.  For a while I had thought that maybe they were no longer my favorite band, but this does nothing short of cementing their position.

STPGurl

• Original Bad Girl
  • Cardinal
  • Sky Captain
  • Sucker for SRW
    • View Profile
    • SWBGC
About A Fool
« Reply #20 on: July 06, 2004, 05:59:17 AM »
It's weird that this happened just days after Robert DeLeo posted at the dot com board though.  Is it just a coincidence or is there more to this?
Care to fill in those of us that don't visit the official boards?    :P  :)
I took a look around over there but didn't see any posts from him... I'm probably not looking in the right place.

John

• Contributors
  • Pilot
    • View Profile
Stp Behind
« Reply #21 on: July 06, 2004, 07:29:39 AM »
Yeah.  Rob loves doing that.  It's the chord progression and his little pseudo-ostinato bass part is a staple he likes to use.  It usually revolves around suspensions resolving or some trickery with relative minors and majors.  That's why these guys are so good musically.  They know how to set the pins up and then knock them down in a formulaic way that never strikes me as "stale".  He also uses that root-4-5-octave bass part everywhere.  I listen for it in every new song I hear.

bunbury_hmr

• Contributors
  • Sky Captain
    • View Profile
Stp Behind
« Reply #22 on: July 06, 2004, 09:15:15 AM »
And if you see him play Live you watch his left hand all over the Bass Neck that really leaves you with the jaw to the floor.

bunbury_hmr

• Contributors
  • Sky Captain
    • View Profile
About A Fool
« Reply #23 on: July 06, 2004, 09:19:58 AM »
He said something about making a studio in his house an making some music files available to the fans an that he hoped to see our opinion about his project. There was more but i fell asleep........ oh yeah he misses all of you who have seen the band (i feel like kicking myself in the Nads for not ever seen the band live for the lack of time upon my part).

Sledgehammers of Truth

• Contributors
  • Pilot
    • View Profile
About A Fool
« Reply #24 on: July 06, 2004, 02:43:04 PM »
It's weird that this happened just days after Robert DeLeo posted at the dot com board though.  Is it just a coincidence or is there more to this?
Care to fill in those of us that don't visit the official boards?    :P  :)
I took a look around over there but didn't see any posts from him... I'm probably not looking in the right place.
He posted under the name "Wifey."  It should be one of the first topics and has a ton of pages.  He posted several times to that topic.

STPGurl

• Original Bad Girl
  • Cardinal
  • Sky Captain
  • Sucker for SRW
    • View Profile
    • SWBGC
Re: About A Fool
« Reply #25 on: February 25, 2010, 05:09:40 PM »
I found this in the Internet Archives of the old Silvergun site, thought it was worth posting:

On a personal note, DeLeo has a lingering concern about the albums final track list: it neglects a piano-imbued song that he wrote, titled "About A Fool." Working off a hook he established back in 1993, the band approved of the Sergio Mendez-esque jazz tune and constructed it into a full-fledged song during the Shangri-La sessions. The bassist struggled to find a place for "About A Fool" on the album during its final production stages, but fell short in the end. "It's a little too mature, maybe, for the listener." he says. "I don't mean to underestimate people musically, but there is enough material on the album already."

Stpilots98

• Contributors
  • Pilot
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: February 25, 2010, 05:14:10 PM »
My favorite song of the b-sides.  Well that and Samba Nova.  Awesome song and Scotts singing on this is amazing!

Yanks241

• Contributors
  • Pilot
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: February 25, 2010, 06:44:35 PM »
What article was that quote from?  How do you get to the old archived site?

tumbleintherough

• Contributors
  • Sky Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: February 25, 2010, 09:12:53 PM »
i love this song i always thought it would fit perfect on shangri great song that chorus grabs me 'still i wonder why i ever let myself take my own advice'