September 21, 2024, 08:34:16 AM

Author Topic: Drummer on the MJY demo?  (Read 6157 times)

JugeSTP

• Contributors
  • Sky Captain
    • View Profile
Drummer on the MJY demo?
« on: March 15, 2010, 06:55:30 PM »
I've heard rumblings that Eric wasn't the drummer on this demo. Anyone know? Or at least, he wasn't the drummer on a few songs. If you listen to Wicked Garden, the drum fill sounds like shite. Could've been before he wrote a more interesting version, or could it be that it's a different person playing? I remember that on the 2008 tour, at one point, they mentioned that "the old STP drummer got up on stage to jam with his old band", but I never knew of any original members of STP besides the quartet in place now. Anyone know anything about this "original drummer" and does anyone know if he plays on the MJY demo?

Blue

• Your Friend
  • Contributors
  • Sky Captain
    • View Profile
Re: Drummer on the MJY demo?
« Reply #1 on: March 15, 2010, 08:26:05 PM »
Quote from: "JugeSTP"
I've heard rumblings that Eric wasn't the drummer on this demo. Anyone know? Or at least, he wasn't the drummer on a few songs. If you listen to Wicked Garden, the drum fill sounds like shite. Could've been before he wrote a more interesting version, or could it be that it's a different person playing? I remember that on the 2008 tour, at one point, they mentioned that "the old STP drummer got up on stage to jam with his old band", but I never knew of any original members of STP besides the quartet in place now. Anyone know anything about this "original drummer" and does anyone know if he plays on the MJY demo?

Who is the "they" who refered to the "old STP drummer"? Because the press have a tendancy to confuse Kretz and Luzier for each-other, so it could have been from when Luzier filled in for Kretz.

Regarding the demo, I'm pretty sure Dean was the last guy to join the band. If that's not Kretz drumming, then that's not Dean on guitar either.
Grab the hate and drown it out...

STP92

• Contributors
  • Sky Captain
  • Don't let the living die yet!
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 15, 2010, 08:36:19 PM »
I'm pretty sure it's Eric drumming. He might have wanted to add some cooler fills to Wicked Garden after they recorded the demo. Or maybe Brendan O'Brien encouraged him to add some more complicated parts to the song. That's just my 2 cents.

wickedgarden23

• Contributors
  • Sky Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 15, 2010, 08:36:48 PM »
On wikipedia in the Mighty Joe Young section on the STP page, it mentions that before Dean and Eric joined the band, Scott and Robert recruited two guys named Corey Hicock and David Allen to play guitar and drums, respectively. Not sure if that's even true...either way, whoever wrote that implies that Dean and Eric replaced those two guys before the demo was recorded.
My STP shows: 8/10/2008, 7/19/2009, 10/10/2009, 5/22/2010, 4/26/2011, 4/24/2015   Weiland solo: 1/29/2009, 11/29/2012, 3/13/2015    VR: 8/5/2007

Rik

• Webmaster
  • Administrator
  • Sky Captain
    • View Profile
    • http://www.belowempty.com
« Reply #4 on: March 15, 2010, 08:46:28 PM »
Mighty Joe Young never had any other members than Scott, Robert, Dean and Eric.

The band that Robert, Scott and Corey were in, was called Swing.

JugeSTP

• Contributors
  • Sky Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 17, 2010, 08:56:19 PM »
Quote from: "Rik"

Thanks Rik! So the review from one of those 2008 shows that mentioned STP being "joined by their old drummer" was this guy Corey you speak of? What's his story?

JugeSTP

• Contributors
  • Sky Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: March 17, 2010, 08:57:41 PM »
Quote from: "wickedgarden23"
On wikipedia in the Mighty Joe Young section on the STP page, it mentions that before Dean and Eric joined the band, Scott and Robert recruited two guys named Corey Hicock and David Allen to play guitar and drums, respectively. Not sure if that's even true...either way, whoever wrote that implies that Dean and Eric replaced those two guys before the demo was recorded.

Good info. My guess is David Allen is maybe the person who joined them on stage in 2008 (and not Corey Hicock). I wish I could remember what show it was, but it definitely wasn't Ray Luzier.

hawk900

• Contributors
  • Sky Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: March 17, 2010, 09:29:04 PM »
At the ChulaVista07 VR show just outside SanDiego Scott says high to DavidAllen who is holding up a sign and he says "HI" he was the drummer in the first band he ever played in in the high school days.
hawk
ps. Its funny I'm reading this topic as the MJY demo cd is blazing full blast outside right now in my backyard as it is 60degrees and sunny here in the toilet bowl of Canada.
« Last Edit: March 17, 2010, 09:30:53 PM by hawk900 »

Ivy

• Administrator
  • Sky Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: March 17, 2010, 09:30:14 PM »
Quote from: "Rik"

Thanks Rik! So the review from one of those 2008 shows that mentioned STP being "joined by their old drummer" was this guy Corey you speak of? What's his story?

No, Corey was the guitarist for the band called Swing, before he quited and Dean replaced him.
Have a coke and a smile and shut the fuck up.

Rik

• Webmaster
  • Administrator
  • Sky Captain
    • View Profile
    • http://www.belowempty.com
« Reply #9 on: March 17, 2010, 10:33:40 PM »
Hmm, I only remember drummer Ray Luzier (Army of Anyone, Korn) filling in for Eric on the 2008 tour. Corey Hicock (sometimes spelled Corey Hickok, I'm not sure which is 100% correct) was the guitarist in Swing.

Comatose Commodity

• Contributors
  • Pilot
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: March 18, 2010, 07:34:27 AM »
I have a flashback of seeing a video with someone else than Luzier play with them in 2008, I think there's something on youtube. But yeah, he was probably in Scott's older bands, because he's only mentioned Corey being in the same band with him, Robert and Eric (but maybe they weren't called MJY)
I had the midwife naked and alone

StoneTempleBrett

• AlternativeNation.net & STPfans.com
  • Contributors
  • Sky Captain
  • Pooper Scooper
    • View Profile
    • AlternativeNation.net
« Reply #11 on: March 18, 2010, 07:45:20 AM »
When it comes to the STP active timeline most people associate the beginnings of STP/MJY with when Scott and Robert started writing together in 1986.  While it wasn't exactly STP, it was setting the foundation for it.  I think Eric joined them in 87/88, Dean mentioned in 2008 that Scott, Robert, and Eric had been playing together for over 20 years.  I think Corey Hickock was the guitarist around this period, I'm not sure.  Dean then joined in late 89 or 90 and that's when they started going by MJY.  Hopefully Scott's book clears some of this up, because I've read everything there is to read about STP and that's the best I can come up with.

Also the former drummer only played one song with them at a show, he didn't play a full show.

STP Shows: 5/1/08, 6/24/08, 12/31/08, 7/1/09, 5/25/10, 6/5/10, 10/29/10, 9/22/12, 5/30/13, 9/1/13
Velvet Revolver Shows: 7/22/06, 9/15/07
Scott Weiland Shows: 12/14/08, 12/8/11

Sledgehammers of Truth

• Contributors
  • Pilot
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: March 18, 2010, 12:12:48 PM »
I don't know anything about a former drummer.  But Ray Luzier was NOT a former STP drummer.  He was the Army of Anyone drummer and filled in for a show or shows while Eric was out due to a death in the family I believe (and he's a wonderful guy by the way).  As others have said STP/Mighty Joe Young was ALWAYS Scott, Dean, Robert, and Eric.  There was never anybody else.  The other guys mentioned were not part of THIS band.  Now they could have been part of Swing with Robert and Scott but not MJY.

Comatose Commodity

• Contributors
  • Pilot
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: March 18, 2010, 12:48:32 PM »
yeah the years have always been confusing. Some sources say Scott and Rob met in 86, some 87, somewhere I read they met way back 84/85 when queing for beer at some club (both underage btw) and then by chance a year or so later and that's when they started to write.
I had the midwife naked and alone

JugeSTP

• Contributors
  • Sky Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: March 18, 2010, 02:26:49 PM »
Quote from: "StoneTempleBrett"
Also the former drummer only played one song with them at a show, he didn't play a full show.

Oh yeah, sorry I wasn't clear about that. The "former drummer" played on one tune, maybe two. It was a guest appearance of sorts. He definitely didn't do a full show, and Eric played on the show where he filled in. Also can we please stop talking about Ray Luzier? I realize he wasn't in STP in the late 80's, and he's not who I'm asking about. I know the show was in California because they played it close to home, but I can't remember if it was the Hollywood Bowl or one of the other ones.

***SORRY FOR THE DOUBLE POST, I DON'T KNOW HOW TO DELETE THIS POST BUT MY COMPUTER WIGGED OUT***