October 01, 2024, 11:37:55 PM

Author Topic: New Interview with Eric Kretz..  (Read 4517 times)

Ivy

• Administrator
  • Sky Captain
    • View Profile
New Interview with Eric Kretz..
« on: March 19, 2010, 07:04:30 AM »
Nothing really special..

You could fill a book detailing the disagreements members of Stone Temple Pilots have had over the past two decades. But you'd only need two words to explain what keeps bringing them back together: The music.

"Even when things were pretty ugly in the STP camp, the live performances were still wonderful," says drummer Eric Kretz. "That's the one language we speak."

Fans feared they'd never speak it again when they split in 2002. Band members wondered, too, but, says Kretz, "we always knew we had unfinished music to create together."

After various outside projects, Kretz, lead singer Scott Weiland, bassist Robert DeLeo and guitarist Don DeLeo got back together in 2008 for a 65-date tour. Even though there were unsettled issues off-stage, they got along well on stage. "We perform and write well together," Kretz explains. "It's when you deal with the personalities that troubles come in. And we can deal with that."

The tour was so invigorating the four decided to produce a new album -- their first in eight years. "When you keep playing the old material every night, you start chomping at the bit to be creative," Kretz says.

When the time was right, the DeLeo brothers came in "with a huge arsenal of completed material. We learned the songs, trying to get the right attitude. Scott put his magic on them and we got an album that's along the lines of the first. It has a lot of layers and a lot of dynamics."

Slated for release in May, that new release is getting a test drive on the band's current tour -- which stops in Sioux City Wednesday. Kretz says STP will play four or five cuts to give fans a taste.

Producing it was relatively easy, particularly since the music was recorded at Kretz's Bomb Shelter Studios in Los Angeles. Weiland, who has his own studio in Burbank, recorded vocals there. To give it an eclectic sound, STP used a collection of vintage music gear and microphones.

"We kept away from everybody else. We didn't have a lot of visitors," Kretz says. Outside forces led to some of the early squabbles. Isolating themselves kept the focus on what mattered -- the music.

"We learned we have to accept people where they are," Kretz says. "If we didn't have any drama or dynamics, we'd probably be a boring band. There are four distinct personalities and that's where you get the edge in the music and the edge in the performances. Think back to high school. When you develop your chops as a musician, you're not going along with what everyone says. It's when you find the right collection of musicians that you get a really great band."

While Kretz concedes STP relationships could change from month to month, there's a united spirit that binds. There's also an ability to play live that helps the four consistently sell out arenas.

"Modern technology can make lousy musicians sound very good on record," Kretz says. "You can be creative and not be a master of your craft. But if you try to tour and you don't have the skills, it's going to be hard to captivate an audience."

Young bands need to go beyond that technology and prove they know how to play. Since digital downloads are changing the face of the industry, touring is key. “You’ve got to want to see them over and over if they hope to survive.”

http://www.siouxcityjournal.com/enterta ... 69a7b.html
Have a coke and a smile and shut the fuck up.

capt_caveman

• Maver
  • Contributors
  • Pilot
  • Take A Load Off
    • View Profile
    • http://www.zooind.tumblr.com
Re: New Interview with Eric Kretz..
« Reply #1 on: March 19, 2010, 07:23:22 AM »
Thanks for the post, I thought it was a nice read, good to hear from Eric for once...
Cause she could play the six string better than those macho pendejos

UnclePeppi

• Contributors
  • Pilot
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 19, 2010, 07:32:30 AM »
Weiland calls the album back-to-basics and now Kretz says it's similar to Core. This could be very interesting, folks...

ArnoldLayne

• Contributors
  • Pilot
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 19, 2010, 12:44:04 PM »
Thanks for the post!
Soundgarden - 1996-10-15
Pearl Jam - 2000-06-30
Fugazi - 2000-10-10
Stone Temple Pilots - 2001-08-21
The Mars Volta - 2003-03-24

MAZZA26

• Co-Pilot
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 19, 2010, 01:15:58 PM »
Quote from: "UnclePeppi"
Weiland calls the album back-to-basics and now Kretz says it's similar to Core. This could be very interesting, folks...

In terms of the arrangements?  Possibly.
However in terms of sound - from what we've heard - absolutely not.  
Core was always a thunderous sounding album, Kretzy's kit was full-on in your face - Guitars had a big thick sound with a bit of "chorus/flange" effect giving it a bit of a grunge feel - however I feel journalists were lazy to put them in the grunge bracket - but Dean still had his layers and interesting guitar parts - more Page than Cobain.   However it was Weiland's vocals in the production that gave it that monstrous slightly grungy sound.  At the end of the day they have never sounded like that since the release of Core.
As you say though this could be a very interesting album!

STP

• Contributors
  • Pilot
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 19, 2010, 03:51:53 PM »
This is probably the first Kretz´s interview I´ve ever read.
Whatever they say I am, that's what I'm not!

JugeSTP

• Contributors
  • Sky Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: March 19, 2010, 04:12:17 PM »
cool interview. Can't wait to listen to the album.

tumbleintherough

• Contributors
  • Sky Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: March 19, 2010, 05:36:27 PM »
Kretz is right touring is the key and i love how he said they used all vintage gear for this album. I keep thinking tiny music cause i know they used vintage stuff for that record, as far as core goes i think its going to be way differnt you heard dean say there aint gonna be another plush. and im glad cause all there other records are much more original and stronger than core anyway in my opinion

Shangri

• Bad Girl-La Dee Da
  • Contributors
  • Sky Captain
  • "It's like playing in front of 40 000 drummers"
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: March 19, 2010, 07:46:57 PM »
Good to read Eric, he's probably one of the few non-controversial drummers out there, he should speak a little more often  ;D
"We grew with the speed of light but crashed in the night"

PhoenixFiles

• Contributors
  • Co-Pilot
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: March 22, 2010, 06:09:08 AM »
Thanks for the post.

This quote peaked my interest:

When the time was right, the DeLeo brothers came in "with a huge arsenal of completed material. We learned the songs, trying to get the right attitude. Scott put his magic on them and we got an album that's along the lines of the first. It has a lot of layers and a lot of dynamics."
We have art in order not to die of the truth.
-Friedrich Nietzsche