September 19, 2024, 10:15:08 PM

Author Topic: 1993-11-17 - New York, NY - MTV Unplugged  (Read 26678 times)

andrew

• Contributors
  • Sky Captain
  • I'm the milk man
    • View Profile
Re: Mtv Unplugged
« Reply #105 on: June 02, 2009, 02:33:06 AM »
Quote from: "StoneTempleBrett"
Quote from: "bigvin22"
If they released an Unplugged album it would be their best selling album by far.
Core 8x Platinum

No band, let alone STP, will ever achieve sales even close to that in the US ever again.

I doubt any Unplugged album done by any band will ever be as good as Nirvana's. They pwned everything that night. I even ended up buying an album by The Vaselines and Meat Puppets II because of Nirvana Unplugged. I do regret buying those 2 albums. Meat Puppets II is okay, but a little too lo-fi for my tastes, but The Vaselines are WTF. They have a song about a motorcycle (I think...) that "rides me raw."  :(
Bleeda blooda

StoneTempleBrett

• AlternativeNation.net & STPfans.com
  • Contributors
  • Sky Captain
  • Pooper Scooper
    • View Profile
    • AlternativeNation.net
« Reply #106 on: June 02, 2009, 03:40:12 AM »
Alice in Chains Unplugged is by far the best unplugged IMO

STP Shows: 5/1/08, 6/24/08, 12/31/08, 7/1/09, 5/25/10, 6/5/10, 10/29/10, 9/22/12, 5/30/13, 9/1/13
Velvet Revolver Shows: 7/22/06, 9/15/07
Scott Weiland Shows: 12/14/08, 12/8/11

wickedgarden23

• Contributors
  • Sky Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #107 on: June 02, 2009, 03:44:24 AM »
I have a really hard time deciding which Unplugged show out of all the grunge ones I like the best. I think STP sounds amazing on their performance, but their set is so short compared to the others. There are songs from each one that are just simply amazing. Black and State Of Love & Trust are especially good from Pearl Jam's, Nutshell and Would? with AIC, and About A Girl and Where Did You Sleep Last Night from Nirvana...

Too bad Soundgarden never did one. That would've been interesting...
My STP shows: 8/10/2008, 7/19/2009, 10/10/2009, 5/22/2010, 4/26/2011, 4/24/2015   Weiland solo: 1/29/2009, 11/29/2012, 3/13/2015    VR: 8/5/2007

Slither

• Contributors
  • Sky Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #108 on: June 02, 2009, 06:18:32 AM »
Quote from: "wickedgarden23"
I have a really hard time deciding which Unplugged show out of all the grunge ones I like the best. I think STP sounds amazing on their performance, but their set is so short compared to the others. There are songs from each one that are just simply amazing. Black and State Of Love & Trust are especially good from Pearl Jam's, Nutshell and Would? with AIC, and About A Girl and Where Did You Sleep Last Night from Nirvana...

ive always thought AIC's was the most powerful because you could just see, with layne, the voice was still there but the man just wasnt. nirvana's a close second tho, their rendition of where did you sleep last night made that session what it was. as good as stp's unplugged was i dont think it had the significance or impact as the other two, they still kicked ass tho as usual
When STP had a cookout after filming the video for the Core single "Plush," Weiland made jerk chicken that was "spectacular," Dean raves.

andrew

• Contributors
  • Sky Captain
  • I'm the milk man
    • View Profile
« Reply #109 on: June 02, 2009, 06:28:48 AM »
STP's was an awesome performance, and the acoustic versions of the Core songs were awesome, but they should have held off for 8 years and done it after 5 albums instead of just 1. I love Crackerman acoustic. Damnit, I love Crackerman anything.  ;D
Bleeda blooda

StoneTempleBrett

• AlternativeNation.net & STPfans.com
  • Contributors
  • Sky Captain
  • Pooper Scooper
    • View Profile
    • AlternativeNation.net
« Reply #110 on: June 02, 2009, 06:49:21 AM »
It would have been better had STP waited until 1996 or 1997.

STP Shows: 5/1/08, 6/24/08, 12/31/08, 7/1/09, 5/25/10, 6/5/10, 10/29/10, 9/22/12, 5/30/13, 9/1/13
Velvet Revolver Shows: 7/22/06, 9/15/07
Scott Weiland Shows: 12/14/08, 12/8/11

VelvetLounngeFly

• Contributors
  • Sky Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #111 on: June 02, 2009, 07:11:57 AM »
Well STP being asked earlier is probably a good thing.
If you only knew..

andrew

• Contributors
  • Sky Captain
  • I'm the milk man
    • View Profile
« Reply #112 on: June 02, 2009, 07:58:18 AM »
Quote from: "VelvetLounngeFly"
Well STP being asked earlier is probably a good thing.

Yeah, Scott's Core and Purple singing voice translated a lot better acoustically than his Tiny Music and newer singing voice.
Bleeda blooda

Casper

• Contributors
  • Sky Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #113 on: June 02, 2009, 03:08:39 PM »
I think if STP and Pearl Jam did more than 5 or 6 songs they would rival the Nirvana and Alice's Unplugged.

Oh and Alice's was better imo than Nirvana's.

Shit, didn't it take Alice like 5 hours for them to complete the set b/c Layne kept fucking up? And not to mention I think they did 2 shows. One with Layne in a leather jacket and than one without. Could be wrong though.
adhesive love

bigvin22

• Contributors
  • Co-Pilot
    • View Profile
« Reply #114 on: June 02, 2009, 03:17:06 PM »
I would have to say STP but AIC's is the best.

wickedgarden23

• Contributors
  • Sky Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #115 on: June 02, 2009, 04:28:54 PM »
Quote from: "Slither"
Quote from: "wickedgarden23"

ive always thought AIC's was the most powerful because you could just see, with layne, the voice was still there but the man just wasnt. nirvana's a close second tho, their rendition of where did you sleep last night made that session what it was. as good as stp's unplugged was i dont think it had the significance or impact as the other two, they still kicked ass tho as usual
Yeah no doubt. It's so crazy how you can hear the pain in Layne's voice and see it in his eyes when you watch it. Same thing goes with Kurt, but he's not actually sick like Layne is while performing.
My STP shows: 8/10/2008, 7/19/2009, 10/10/2009, 5/22/2010, 4/26/2011, 4/24/2015   Weiland solo: 1/29/2009, 11/29/2012, 3/13/2015    VR: 8/5/2007

NoMemory_Sin

• Contributors
  • Pilot
    • View Profile
« Reply #116 on: June 04, 2009, 04:34:22 PM »
Quote from: "andrew"
If they released an Unplugged album it would be their best selling album by far.
Core 8x Platinum

No band, let alone STP, will ever achieve sales even close to that in the US ever again.

I doubt any Unplugged album done by any band will ever be as good as Nirvana's. They pwned everything that night. I even ended up buying an album by The Vaselines and Meat Puppets II because of Nirvana Unplugged. I do regret buying those 2 albums. Meat Puppets II is okay, but a little too lo-fi for my tastes, but The Vaselines are WTF. They have a song about a motorcycle (I think...) that "rides me raw."  :(

Duuude! the Meat Puppets are f*cking awesome!!! If you didn't like the album II maybe you should try Too High To Die or No Joke! those albums are much grungier than their previous albums which were much trippier
CORPORATE MEDIA STILL SUCK

andrew

• Contributors
  • Sky Captain
  • I'm the milk man
    • View Profile
« Reply #117 on: June 04, 2009, 11:50:00 PM »
Quote from: "NoMemory_Sin"
Quote from: "andrew"
Core 8x Platinum

Duuude! the Meat Puppets are f*cking awesome!!! If you didn't like the album II maybe you should try Too High To Die or No Joke! those albums are much grungier than their previous albums which were much trippier

I like a couple of the songs off II, but I just like higher quality recordings, I love the remake of Lake Of Fire and I love Backwater. Those 2 songs are so freaking awesome. I like Curt Kirkwood's project with Krist Novoselic of Nirvana and Bud Gaugh of Sublime a lot, Eyes Adrift. They were radical, but I found out about them after they were done touring and broken up.
Bleeda blooda

andrewivanhayes

• Contributors
  • Pilot
    • View Profile
    • http://www.visualmediatrade.com
« Reply #118 on: June 05, 2009, 05:55:46 AM »
granted PJ, Nirvana & AIC were very monumental... i remember watching the premiere broadcast of them all on MTV...

but lets not forget about the rendition of "Wicked Garden" that Scotty & boys performed on the fateful evening of 11/17/1993... STP's MTV Unplugged performance is absolutely incredible... "Crackerman".... "Big Empty"... I mean these are classic performances of amazing records.... and my personal favorite: "Hey there, how's your steak?"

I just acquired a DVB-S version of STP - MTV Unplugged from Germany that was recently broadcast, as part of an encore series of the early seasons of the series, that mirrors the quality of the footage which appears on the Thank You DVD...

http://db.etree.org/myshows_detail.php?showid=8087678

absolutely incredible.... however, none of the STP performances are included on any of the MTV Unplugged greatest hits material... in addition, STP was left off of the upcoming Rock Band: Unplugged video game....

WTF!!!!!!!?????????

Five Star Edge

• Contributors
  • Sky Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #119 on: June 05, 2009, 05:50:45 PM »
speaking of Meat Puppets, you can download their new single for free at amazon.com
http://www.amazon.com/Rotten-Shame/dp/B ... 15&sr=1-44
I’m here to bleed for all the lust and lonely nights.