September 27, 2024, 11:19:24 PM

Author Topic: New STP "Best of" Album?  (Read 13567 times)

andrew

• Contributors
  • Sky Captain
  • I'm the milk man
    • View Profile
Re: Question about possible new album
« Reply #75 on: January 15, 2009, 05:12:17 AM »
When STP first signed with Atlantic, I believe it was Danny Goldberg who was president, and they knew everyone on the label, and now they don't know anyone on the label and since you don't really need to be on a major label to sell albums, more money in STP's pockets.

Also, Dean and Robert were released from their recording contract following the dissolution of STP back in 2002. Once they reunited in 2008, they decided that they were gonna do things on their own, when all of the sudden Atlantic slaps them with a lawsuit claiming STP owes Atlantic 2 more albums.

I figure since the bassist and guitarist were released from their contracts, STP's management assumed drummer and singer were as well.
Bleeda blooda

Lazy Divey

• Pink love fuzz
  • Contributors
  • Sky Captain
  • Kid'll eat ivy too, wouldn't you?
    • View Profile
« Reply #76 on: January 15, 2009, 05:38:09 PM »
They just need to release a live album and a quick album of covers and unreleased tracks to get out of the contract

SoftVinyl

• Contributors
  • Sky Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #77 on: January 16, 2009, 03:00:01 PM »
I think a well put together box set would be killer. Fill it with some real gems. It should be called AUTO-PILOT. Include MJY songs, live, unreleased...all kinds of goodies.
\'I\'m not paranoid...everyone is just out to get me!\'

Stp74

• Contributors
  • Pilot
    • View Profile
    • http://profile.myspace.com/index.cfm?fuseaction=user.viewProfile&friendID=74181814
« Reply #78 on: January 16, 2009, 03:12:42 PM »
Quote from: "Slim Jim"
I still don't understand how only Scott and Eric are still under contract but the Deleos aren't. How did that happen? Did the Deleos pay Atlantic off or something?
I'm not sure but maybe the talk show and AoA records had something to do with it.

STPGurl

• Original Bad Girl
  • Cardinal
  • Sky Captain
  • Sucker for SRW
    • View Profile
    • SWBGC
« Reply #79 on: January 16, 2009, 07:25:51 PM »
Quote from: "SoftVinyl"
I think a well put together box set would be killer. Fill it with some real gems. It should be called AUTO-PILOT. Include MJY songs, live, unreleased...all kinds of goodies.

That's it!  Someone!  Have Scott's people contact SoftVinyl's people - because I LOVE this idea!
How could they not notice it?! Because it's a little mint.  It's a Junior Mint!

StoneTempleBrett

• AlternativeNation.net & STPfans.com
  • Contributors
  • Sky Captain
  • Pooper Scooper
    • View Profile
    • AlternativeNation.net
« Reply #80 on: January 17, 2009, 08:39:20 AM »
I'd love for this to happen, but we need a new record first, unless you meant a box set to get out of the contract, if so then good idea.

STP Shows: 5/1/08, 6/24/08, 12/31/08, 7/1/09, 5/25/10, 6/5/10, 10/29/10, 9/22/12, 5/30/13, 9/1/13
Velvet Revolver Shows: 7/22/06, 9/15/07
Scott Weiland Shows: 12/14/08, 12/8/11

Sin

• Contributors
  • Pilot
    • View Profile
    • http://profile.myspace.com/index.cfm?fuseaction=user.viewprofile&friendid=127989536
« Reply #81 on: January 17, 2009, 09:47:48 AM »
They should just release an album called Mighty Joe Young with remastered versions of the demos, along with Samba Nova, About A Fool, Heed the Water Whisperer, and You cant drive me Away
Sin makes me strong.

bduv26

• Ground Personnel
    • View Profile
« Reply #82 on: January 17, 2009, 09:52:33 PM »
I wonder how much money they will actually lose by using atlantic for new albums... Granted I wish they did not have to but I bet softdrive records does not have the man power or know how to sell as many albums to the mainstream public
(press releases marketing and such)... With Happy in Galoshes hell no one that was not a super fan had a clue about the release date.  I just wish they would suck it up for the next couple albums... potentially they could have another 20 years of making albums together... I hope it all works out for a 2009 album release.

Stp74

• Contributors
  • Pilot
    • View Profile
    • http://profile.myspace.com/index.cfm?fuseaction=user.viewProfile&friendID=74181814
« Reply #83 on: January 18, 2009, 05:54:38 PM »

That would be awesome!!!  Wouldnt matter what the price was, I'm sure it would sell.  Off the top of my head, other than the "thank you" dvd/cd, STP is about the only band that doesnt have like a live dvd or box set type thing released.  Make sense?

Six7Six7

• Contributors
  • Pilot
    • View Profile
« Reply #84 on: January 18, 2009, 08:08:24 PM »
The only problem with any of these ideas is that Atlantic can still say "No, we're not releasing that, give us a new STP album"

Atlantic will never agree to releasing a Boxset, or a live album, or a rarities album. Because all those things only appeal to hardcore STP fans and will do 20-30,000 copies max.

Why settle for that when they can force the band to do one more album that will potentially contain 2-3 hit singles that propel it to sales in excess of a million?

The best option is to find a major label they WILL work for, and that WILL stand behind them, and have that label buy out the remainder of the Atlantic contract.

i think what most likely will end up happening, is that it will be settled out of court, and Eric and Scott will just surrender a small percentage of their profits from the forthcoming STP album to Atlantic in exchange for their freedom

WhenTheItchGetsBad

• Contributors
  • Pilot
    • View Profile
« Reply #85 on: February 23, 2009, 02:31:33 AM »
Quote from: "Slim Jim"
I still don't understand how only Scott and Eric are still under contract but the Deleos aren't. How did that happen? Did the Deleos pay Atlantic off or something?

That always confused me too. Maybe it had something to do with their side project bands?
Were Army Of Anyone or Talk Show on an Atlantic label?
Bees Only Thrive When The Honey\'s There.