October 01, 2024, 08:43:14 AM

Author Topic: THE BEST PRODUCTION OF BRENDAN O'BRIEN WITH STP?  (Read 16799 times)

drynaski

• Contributors
  • Co-Pilot
    • View Profile
Re: RE-EDITED ALBUMS?
« Reply #75 on: December 30, 2008, 02:27:00 AM »
Core, purple and tiny music are all great... 12BB is great, AOA's album sounds great (production-wise), even Talk Show's album sounds pretty good, also Libertad's production is great. Tiny music, while "lo-fi" is easy to pick out all of the parts, the highs and lows are all their... its crunchy but done well

No. 4 -> the songs are great, maybe my favorite album from them song-wise, but the production is very muddy... if they were going for a garage band lo-fi sound then thats fine, but they didn't do a good job with it. The foo fighters' first album is grungy and lo-fi but sounds good.

SSLD -> songs are pretty good, although I think the band out-shined Scott on this one, maybe I'd think different if there weren't 8 layers of his voice at all times... it sounds like the instruments were recorded well, then they recorded 5 synth tracks over it, then they recorded Scott over it, then they recorded Scott over it 8 more times, and each time they did it the good recordings lost quality... it sounds like half of the tracks are medium quality MP3s.

Happy -> It's good, I think Dougs tracks sound good, Steve Albini's are kinda blah... and I thnk they should've kept Missing Cleveland off the album. That chord progression is a cheap way to get a hit... I didn't think Scott would ever use it.

Contraband -> Sounds like a low quality MP3.

loungefly611

• The Other Scott
  • Contributors
  • Sky Captain
    • View Profile
    • Scott 'The Madness' Stessl
« Reply #76 on: December 30, 2008, 02:40:51 AM »
Quote from: "STP92"
Quote from: "wickedgarden23"
I'd just remaster 'Core'. I like most of the songs on the album, but they need to be touched up.
I don't really have much "musical production knowledge", but I'm just curious...what exactly would you "touch up"? The songs sound very early 90s to me, but that's not something I'd change if that's what you were referring to.

I don't have much "musical production knowledge" either to be honest. What I meant is more of changing the quality of the album more than the actual song. For example, I really like the background guitar riff in "Wicked Garden" because it is very 90's. I wouldn't change that at all, I'd just change the production quality.

I think you are trying to say that you want to remaster the album. Pearl Jam is gonna do this with Ten, and it's going to be re-released in March w/bonus material.
Dedicated. Disgusting. Disturbing.

I'm just sittin' on this merry-go-round, and the music is too loud..

IMJ

• Contributors
  • Sky Captain
    • View Profile
    • Wave1Collectibles
« Reply #77 on: December 30, 2008, 04:12:49 AM »
Oh God, Core is the last album I would touch. It's production was some of the best on an STP album, I think. I'd remaster No. 4 and get rid of the very unbalanced sound on that album. All of Scott's vocals are muffled and it never seemed to have the proper attenuation between the instruments.

No. 4 is one of my top 2 fav STP albums, but that one needs to be brought out of the coffee can it's in.
STP Shows: 12/12/1996 | 10/12/2001 | 05/17/2008 | 05/22/2008 | 03/20/2010 | 08/20/2010
CheSTP Shows: 04/23/2015
JeffTP Shows: 09/26/2019
Velvet Revolver Shows: 05/19/2004 | 11/21/2004 | 04/29/2005 | 08/13/2005 | 05/10/2007 (w. Slash signed Setlist) | 08/28/2007
Scott Weiland Shows: 05/10/2014 | 11/20/2015

wickedgarden23

• Contributors
  • Sky Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #78 on: December 30, 2008, 07:50:20 AM »
I think Purple probably has the best production quality out of all of STP's albums. I wouldn't ever think about remastering that album or Core. Tiny Music has a couple rough spots, but overall I like it's sound. Scott's vocals, while good, don't seem to have as much strength on that CD and sometimes they're lost in the music. I agree with some of you in that No. 4 could be remastered...I think it's not-as-good production is one of the reasons why it's my least favorite STP album. Shangri-La Dee Da sounds good...nothing really I'd go back and change with that one.

When it comes to VR...I think Libertad sounds MUCH better than Contraband production-wise (and overall).
My STP shows: 8/10/2008, 7/19/2009, 10/10/2009, 5/22/2010, 4/26/2011, 4/24/2015   Weiland solo: 1/29/2009, 11/29/2012, 3/13/2015    VR: 8/5/2007

STP92

• Contributors
  • Sky Captain
  • Don't let the living die yet!
    • View Profile
« Reply #79 on: December 30, 2008, 09:20:47 AM »
Quote from: "loungefly611"
Quote from: "wickedgarden23"
I'd just remaster 'Core'. I like most of the songs on the album, but they need to be touched up.
I don't really have much "musical production knowledge", but I'm just curious...what exactly would you "touch up"? The songs sound very early 90s to me, but that's not something I'd change if that's what you were referring to.

I don't have much "musical production knowledge" either to be honest. What I meant is more of changing the quality of the album more than the actual song. For example, I really like the background guitar riff in "Wicked Garden" because it is very 90's. I wouldn't change that at all, I'd just change the production quality.

I think you are trying to say that you want to remaster the album. Pearl Jam is gonna do this with Ten, and it's going to be re-released in March w/bonus material.

That's exactly what I'm saying as I said in my first statement.