July 04, 2024, 07:23:34 AM

Author Topic: Scott Weiland Then and Now  (Read 4876 times)

robschmidt

• Contributors
  • Pilot
    • View Profile
Scott Weiland Then and Now
« on: October 29, 2009, 05:48:59 PM »
I thought of this today....

There are obvious differences in the early works of STP/Mighty Joe Young and Happy in Galoshes. Let's pretend that were are back in 1991-92.

What do you think Scott would have thought if he heard Happy way back when? He was obviously more "grungy", so I would have to say he would think Happy was not so great.
--Rob--

Slither

• Contributors
  • Sky Captain
    • View Profile
Re: Scott Weiland Then and Now
« Reply #1 on: October 29, 2009, 06:30:19 PM »
Quote from: "robschmidt"
I thought of this today....

There are obvious differences in the early works of STP/Mighty Joe Young and Happy in Galoshes. Let's pretend that were are back in 1991-92.

What do you think Scott would have thought if he heard Happy way back when? He was obviously more "grungy", so I would have to say he would think Happy was not so great.

i think as someone who has admired and been influenced by the likes of bowie and morrison his entire life, he would've been thrilled by the homage he will have paid one day to his childhood heroes. i remember scott saying once that he was never really going for the whole grunge thing and always wanted to take what he was doing musically further than just that
When STP had a cookout after filming the video for the Core single "Plush," Weiland made jerk chicken that was "spectacular," Dean raves.

JugeSTP

• Contributors
  • Sky Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 29, 2009, 06:45:19 PM »
he'd think "man, I guess I didn't take it very easy on that white powdery stuff"

STP92

• Contributors
  • Sky Captain
  • Don't let the living die yet!
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 29, 2009, 07:54:50 PM »
If HIG was made in 1991, it would probably be like a funk album.

STP

• Contributors
  • Pilot
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: October 29, 2009, 08:41:05 PM »
Quote from: "JugeSTP"
he'd think "man, I guess I didn't take it very easy on that white powdery stuff"

LOL... ;D  ;D
Whatever they say I am, that's what I'm not!

bigemptycreep

• Contributors
  • Pilot
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: November 29, 2009, 08:48:46 PM »
I think if anyone, (especially artists, because a lot of their world is in the moment) could see 20 years give or take into the future and see what they were doing they probably wouldn't understand it. Like, ok, it's me, but how did I get from here to there kinda thing.

I don't think Scott would get all 'punk' on it, like fuck that I'm gonna be 1990 Scott forever, but at the same time I don't know that anyone would really appreciate their own growth without experiencing it along the way to understand the whole process.

I guess one way you could look at it is, Scott likely had always embraced the various musical forms he's chosen to take on and that in those specific moments he was just projecting whatever was there at the time. You NEED to be Happy in Galoshes Scott to make Happy in Galoshes, but it's not like that part of him only existed at that time or will stop existing once he moves in another direction.

am I getting a little too...what's the word...

wickedgarden23

• Contributors
  • Sky Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: November 30, 2009, 07:37:36 AM »
no bigemptycreep i think you explained it really well. thats exactly how i think he'd feel and everything. he's definitely been influenced by so many different styles for a long time...you can see that just by listening to the way he sings on the mighty joe young demo
My STP shows: 8/10/2008, 7/19/2009, 10/10/2009, 5/22/2010, 4/26/2011, 4/24/2015   Weiland solo: 1/29/2009, 11/29/2012, 3/13/2015    VR: 8/5/2007

STP92

• Contributors
  • Sky Captain
  • Don't let the living die yet!
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: November 30, 2009, 08:52:37 PM »
Then:

Now:

Quite a change, eh?

anSTPfan

• Contributors
  • Co-Pilot
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: December 01, 2009, 02:46:13 AM »
in the works of STP  Scott seemed to know exactly where he was in the musical realm. his band was hardrockers that added in their own ideas to their music and didn't only rely on their musical influences. yeah you can be influenced and thats great, it is a good thing to know that your influenced by somebody and therefore know how to rock on stage in a way the fans can identify with but at the same time you need to create your own identity and own style as well and not just be constructed of 20 different qualities from 10 or so different artists.

you have to be able to identify with yourself and not just only ever leave yourself with the ability to say: i do that, thats from that guy. i do this, this is from this guy. i do that other thing which is from them, only changed in this way or that. you also want to be able to say: i do that, thats me. innovation is good, but creation is what makes you sincere and original.

i think Happy in Galoshes is not so much Scott's present day musical style, i think that Happy is his solo style. remember 12 Bar Blues? and then after that we had No.4 which was COMPLETELY different. the same thing is gonna happen again.... Scott does not have regrets, okay fine, but Libertad did not do very well (compared to any STP record or Contraband) and Happy in Galoshes did not do very well either. Sure he can say "forget the sales, i just wanna do what makes me happy." but STP has been a band that has always wanted to sell records and they've continually done that by changing their style with every record they made. the one album that hasn't been RIAA Platinum certified is Shangri La Dee Da and i remember Scott saying that he poured his heart and soul into it and it went utterly ignored.

Okay, i agree with him. Shangri is an underrated album by far, id pay good money to see it performed in its entirety on stage. GOOD MONEY. but the fact that he said it went utterly ignored even though it sold over 500,000 copies just proves that STP do care about sales and not ONLY what they wanna do.

this is why im gonna say that Scott needs to put his musical influences and his childhood idols away and do what Scott does. not a blend of Bowie and Jagger and Morrison... but Scott needs to be Scott and nothing else; musical influences aside.