July 03, 2024, 10:44:23 AM

Author Topic: Godzilla  (Read 4498 times)

Junior

• Contributors
  • Sky Captain
    • View Profile
Godzilla
« on: September 23, 2008, 03:58:25 AM »
For the soundtrack to 1998's Godzilla, the Stone Temple Pilots who were, at the time, broken up were offered a significant sum of money (allegedly $500,000) to contribute a song. They passed.is this true.http://www.imdb.com/name/nm0917993/bio

Rocketboy

• Cardinal
  • Sky Captain
    • View Profile
Re: Godzilla
« Reply #1 on: September 23, 2008, 04:16:40 AM »
Its a rumor I heard years ago. Never heard any confirmation.

IIRC, it was at a time when STP wasn't together because Scott was pretty messed up.

wayne gretzky

• Contributors
  • Sky Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 24, 2008, 08:12:24 PM »
good they didnt, wouldve been a waste... very weak flick .. to bad they got screwed with teh Spiderman soundtrack

loungefly611

• The Other Scott
  • Contributors
  • Sky Captain
    • View Profile
    • Scott 'The Madness' Stessl
« Reply #3 on: September 24, 2008, 10:54:21 PM »
Quote from: "wayne gretzky"
good they didnt, wouldve been a waste... very weak flick .. to bad they got screwed with teh Spiderman soundtrack

HORRIBLE FLICK. God I never wanted my money back as bad. However, the soundtrack did kick some serious ass. Rage. Foo Fighters. The only Wallflowers song I have in my music library. LOL. Plus, the masses may stone me for saying this, but I fucking love the P. Diddy/Jimmy Page track. You don't know how many karaoke bars I've searched for that have that song so I could rock it.
Dedicated. Disgusting. Disturbing.

I'm just sittin' on this merry-go-round, and the music is too loud..

Atlantic

• Contributors
  • Pilot
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 26, 2008, 07:23:02 AM »
Quote from: "loungefly611"
HORRIBLE FLICK. God I never wanted my money back as bad. However, the soundtrack did kick some serious ass. Rage. Foo Fighters. The only Wallflowers song I have in my music library. LOL. Plus, the masses may stone me for saying this, but I fucking love the P. Diddy/Jimmy Page track. You don't know how many karaoke bars I've searched for that have that song so I could rock it.

Fa sho. That P. Diddy jam is awesome, fa sho. I haven't seen the movie since it came out, but I remember liking it. Then again, I was around 10-ish when it came out...

Atlantic

• Contributors
  • Pilot
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: September 26, 2008, 07:27:26 AM »
Oh and I like how in the Weiland article it says he left VR to rejoin STP. Nice to know they got their story right.

rustic

• Contributors
  • Co-Pilot
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: September 27, 2008, 12:18:47 PM »
Quote from: "Atlantic"
Fa sho. That P. Diddy jam is awesome, fa sho. I haven't seen the movie since it came out, but I remember liking it. Then again, I was around 10-ish when it came out...

No way.  That song's an abomination.  P. Diddy took a classic song and absolutely putrified it with his talentless hackery.  Had that kind of atrocity been committed in biblical times, P. Diddy surely would have been stoned to death for it.

Even the movie, which was pretty awful in its own right, was better than that song.

Tiny Music

• Contributors
  • Co-Pilot
    • View Profile
    • http://www.myspace.com/hallowaybelia
« Reply #7 on: October 01, 2008, 05:02:13 AM »
^ I couldn't like this song as I can't like Kid Rock's All Summer Long. Personal gems of classic rock being regurgitated into mainstream sampling. Doesn't sit right, as snobbish as that may be.

But I am also a massive Led Zeppelin fan who feels as if they are pretty much sacred ground, so I shouldn't discuss it. :)
No need to bother, honey
he\'ll be coming live via satellite
direct, right through our

loungefly611

• The Other Scott
  • Contributors
  • Sky Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: October 02, 2008, 04:15:58 AM »
Quote from: "Tiny Music"
^ I couldn't like this song as I can't like Kid Rock's All Summer Long. Personal gems of classic rock being regurgitated into mainstream sampling. Doesn't sit right, as snobbish as that may be.

But I am also a massive Led Zeppelin fan who feels as if they are pretty much sacred ground, so I shouldn't discuss it. :)

I don't mind sampling if it's done right. I felt Diddy did a great job with the song. Considering that Page was involved with the making of the song, I felt that it gave the song more credibility of sorts then some band/artist sampling a track just to enhance their own music without the involvement of the original artist. However, that was ten years ago before Diddy started to sample EVERYONE. If it came out nowadays, I might feel different.

My least favorite sample is BY FAR Eminem's sampling of Dream On. I'm in the same boat when you refer to 'sacred ground' considering Aerosmith is one of my all-time favorite bands.

In Kid Rock's case, yes he samples 'Sweet Home Alabama,' but he adds more to it that gives it it's own identity. Plus, he gives props to the song in the track, so he doesn't totally dismiss it. I wasn't a fan of it at first, but it's really grown on me as on a whole he put together a suprisingly strong album. Easily his best since Devil Without a Cause.

Actually when I hear that song, I think of KFC more so then Skynard :)

Tiny Music

• Contributors
  • Co-Pilot
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: October 02, 2008, 05:09:25 AM »
Quote from: "loungefly611"
I don't mind sampling if it's done right. I felt Diddy did a great job with the song. Considering that Page was involved with the making of the song, I felt that it gave the song more credibility of sorts then some band/artist sampling a track just to enhance their own music without the involvement of the original artist. However, that was ten years ago before Diddy started to sample EVERYONE. If it came out nowadays, I might feel different.

My least favorite sample is BY FAR Eminem's sampling of Dream On. I'm in the same boat when you refer to 'sacred ground' considering Aerosmith is one of my all-time favorite bands.

In Kid Rock's case, yes he samples 'Sweet Home Alabama,' but he adds more to it that gives it it's own identity. Plus, he gives props to the song in the track, so he doesn't totally dismiss it. I wasn't a fan of it at first, but it's really grown on me as on a whole he put together a suprisingly strong album. Easily his best since Devil Without a Cause.

Actually when I hear that song, I think of KFC more so then Skynard :)

Good point on Diddy. At the time I wasn't sure whether to be okay with the fact that Page had an important role in the making of it. Legit or no-legit? haha. Now, I could very well think differently were I to actually sit and listen to the song again, open-minded.

Not sure if you were aware or not, but All Summer Long's entire piano "riff" if you will, is from Warren Zevon's Werewolves Of London, as well. Two classic rock gems. :)

Along with a reminder of fried chicken....Mmm.
No need to bother, honey

loungefly611

• The Other Scott
  • Contributors
  • Sky Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: October 02, 2008, 04:17:46 PM »
Quote from: "Tiny Music"
Not sure if you were aware or not, but All Summer Long's entire piano "riff" if you will, is from Warren Zevon's Werewolves Of London, as well. Two classic rock gems. :)

Ooooooh yeah! I totally blanked on that one. I always remember singing the 'howl' part of the song when I was younger :)

Tiny Music

• Contributors
  • Co-Pilot
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: October 02, 2008, 04:34:16 PM »
^ The only part I knew, too! But totally worth waiting for. :D
No need to bother, honey