September 12, 2024, 05:57:49 AM

Author Topic: 2008-05-22 - Chicago, IL - Charter One Pavilion at Northerly Island  (Read 21305 times)

vchizzle

• Arrival
    • View Profile
Re: 2008-05-22 - Chicago, IL - Charter One Pavilion at Northerly Island
« Reply #135 on: May 26, 2008, 10:19:04 PM »
Quote from: "crackerdude"
This was my first time seeing STP. I was really excited to see the show as they are my favorite band. It was cold and that did suck but it wasn't freezing compared to that Chicago winter we just had. I didn't like the marching band opening at all. The Big empty guitar problems weren't a really big deal, sometimes that happens in live music and it’s understandable, so I wasn't upset.
As for my review the set was solid. Scott's voice was on and off the whole show. Some songs shined others failed. The rest of the band was tight outside of Dean's guitar issues on Big Empty. I was extremely disappointed with Scott's stage presence. I've seen Velvet Revolver three times and I've watched millions of live performances and the man never stops moving. As one of the best front men of this generation I expect more from Scott than him barely moving on stage. Sure it was cold out but that's even more reason to move around on stage. Another thing that made for a disappointing show was a one song encore. I don't care what songs they played I just wanted more. The thing that made this a very forgettable show and really pissed me off was the crowd. I go to at least fifteen concerts a year and this was by far the worst crowd I have ever seen. It was atrocious. People were barely moving and just standing there like they had to be there and rather be doing something else. It seemed the majority only knew the hits if that. About ten people around me left after they played Plush and Interstate Love song. Some didn't stay for the encore. I was seated in the upper level directing center of the stage. When I looked down into the crowd during songs like Sex Type Thing and Down, I saw maybe a dozen people moving. It was pathetic. I felt band for the band because no one seemed into it and I will say that could attribute to the band not having as much energy. The show also wasn't sold out.
It was a decent show but not what I expected or hoped to see from STP.

Maybe Scott wasn't running around cause he's trying to concentrate on getting all the lyrics right since everyone is bitching.

And yes the crowd SUCKED. We intentionally left to go to the floor for that reason. Lame. That usually accounts for shorter set, less encores, etc.

Desperation #5

• Contributors
  • Co-Pilot
    • View Profile
« Reply #136 on: May 27, 2008, 03:56:23 AM »
I didn't mention this in previous posts, but the Charter One Pavilion sucked.  It's a cool atmosphere on the lake and with the city skyline as a backdrop.....but that's about all it has to offer.

illinoispilot219

• Ground Personnel
    • View Profile
« Reply #137 on: June 09, 2008, 04:33:53 PM »
yeah i agree with earlier posts ..the crowd was subdued .

loungefly611

• The Other Scott
  • Contributors
  • Sky Captain
    • View Profile
    • Scott 'The Madness' Stessl
« Reply #138 on: June 09, 2008, 06:29:21 PM »
I didn't think the crowd was too bad. They were responsive toward the band and sang along to the hits. It was more spread out then usually for a STP show instead of being really confined for a club setting. Plus, you have to factor in the weather. I think that if it were 10-15 degrees warmer, it would have made a big difference.
Dedicated. Disgusting. Disturbing.

I'm just sittin' on this merry-go-round, and the music is too loud..

Son Of Sam

• Contributors
  • Pilot
    • View Profile
« Reply #139 on: August 30, 2008, 09:00:42 PM »
62. Stone Temple Pilots Charter One Pavilion
Chicago, Ill.
May 22, 2008
$348,485
7,935 /
1 /