September 25, 2024, 12:16:50 AM

Author Topic: New Robert DeLeo Interview  (Read 13310 times)

Strat

• Pilot
  • Arrivals
    • View Profile
Re: New Robert DeLeo Interview
« Reply #45 on: October 08, 2013, 02:48:46 PM »
This certainly puts a whole new perspective on Scott's firing. Scott was fired literally on the day before the first show of the Purple at the Core tour. Even though I'd read the complaint earlier, somehow I missed the significance of section 9. Apparently, the band had planned and discussed with Scott not only a Core tour, but a Purple/Core tour.

http://www.hollywoodreporter.com/sites/default/files/custom/Documents/ESQ/STP-complaint.pdf

lovemachine97

• Contributors
  • Sky Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #46 on: October 08, 2013, 07:43:50 PM »

@lovemachine97 - How are you going to determine if Scott has been giving 100% or not?  I don't know what mood-stabilizers he's on at any given point, and I don't know what his brain is capable of achieving at this point in time on a productivity level, or anything else.  That's all subjective, and hearsay from Grean and anyone else.  Him showing up late?  Did that affect ticket sales?  How can you measure that?  Didn't the audience already BUY the tickets?  Yes fans savvy enough to read multiple reviews can realize that it might be an ongoing theme with the man lately, but I don't think this alone had a significant impact on ticket revenue declining at the end of it all.  The allure of the band reuniting and playing their greatest hits spawned ticket sales and then repeating that for over 5 years essentially was what caused it to fade and probably what lead to some of the members not wanting to go on doing the same thing every night.

Of course it affects sales. If you go to a show and the band makes you wait 2 hours before they come on and then the lead singer is visibly intoxicated and not performing at his best because of that, how likely are you to buy a ticket to see them next time around? If you're on the fence buying a ticket to a later show and you're reading about the aforementioned scenario, are you more or less likely to buy that ticket?

As far as Scott giving 100%, you're not giving 100% if you're hours late. You're not giving 100% if you're skipping shows, resulting in cancellation. You're not giving 100% if you have a teleprompter and you still can't remember lyrics. You aren't giving 100% if you put yourself in a position where you can't perform at the top of your game.

But on top of that, I have two eyes, two ears, and a brain.

Maybe I'm wrong... but from what I gathered, Scott was the one who wanted to do a 20th anniversary tour, in smaller venues, playing Core in it's entirety.  But the DeLeo's wanted to continue their "hits tour" because it was more marketable. So IF that was the case, then I don't see the problem with Scott trying to honor the 20th anniversary when the rest of the band didn't.

If you look at the complaint, it says the band started talking in 2011 about doing an anniversary tour commemorating the 20th anniversaries of Core and Purple. It says at one point, Dean and Scott had a 2 hour phone call discussing the stage set up, the look and feel of the tour, and recording two new songs to put on a reissue of Core. In January of 2012, Eric, Robert, and Dean went to Weiland's house to discuss the idea further. It says the band toured that summer, but deliberately did not celebrate Core, which came out that year, because that was going to be done in 2013 celebrating the first two albums, plus the rereleases. However, on this tour, they say, Weiland was late to every single show, even no-showing in Alberta, so the concert had to be canceled. According to news stories I found, STP didn't take the stage until 1100pm that night. The next day, they announced a cancellation because Weiland had been put on "48 hours mandatory vocal rest due to strained vocal chords," but the complaint says he actually just never showed up and they couldn't contact him.

After the tour, contact with Weiland stopped. They could not get a hold of him personally. The complaint says that they could only contact him through his managers and attorneys. The band was left unsure about where he stood in regard to his commitment to the band. In January of 2013, they asked Weiland to sign that he would no longer be late for shows. He refused, but he did ask for a larger share of the tour receipts (I'm guessing that they split this evenly, meaning Weiland wanted to make more from the tour than the other three guys).

Right away, it says, Weiland blindsided the band with announcing a solo Purple To The Core tour with the Wildabouts. The complaint says that he used "Stone Temple Pilots" in his ads, sometimes larger than his name. He used a "WeilandSTP" account to promote the shows. Some of the ads said the concert was "Scott Weiland and Stone Temple Pilots." He used Interstate Love Song in some ads/promos.

In other words, the band planned a 2013 Core and Purple Tour, but then Scott's behavior during the 2012 summer tour was the worst it had ever been. They asked for him not to be late, he refused and said pay me more. When they refused this, he hijacked the idea and did it by himself. The rest of the band fired him for this, and they are suing him for using anything related to STP to sell this tour.

HelloItsLate

• Pilot
  • Arrivals
    • View Profile
« Reply #47 on: October 08, 2013, 08:03:26 PM »
Haha...get ready to hear all about those goddamn manipulative DeLeo brothers again. I can feel it coming.

Slither

• Contributors
  • Sky Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #48 on: October 08, 2013, 09:03:21 PM »
The real question is Why?

Why would Scott so suddenly just cut off contact with the DeLeos, stop answering their calls, and go out on a Purple/Core tour on his own for less money, fewer fans, with FAR less talented musicians. The only reason that makes sense is he was slipping back into addiction which the DeLeos would have (rightfully) judged him for, and the Wildabouts would not because he is their meal ticket. It still makes no sense why he would choose to do this so coldly to people he's called family and owes his life to. There had to be some sort of argument or catalyst that caused him to drift so curtly.

Either that or he was so dead set on doing his own thing that he didn't care to give his old friends the time of day. I'm still going with Option A.
When STP had a cookout after filming the video for the Core single "Plush," Weiland made jerk chicken that was "spectacular," Dean raves.

DankoJones

• Contributors
  • Sky Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #49 on: October 08, 2013, 09:12:37 PM »
No doubt Scott was using around that time, not sure what though.
"There's a dusty rose where the promise of love used to be"

lovemachine97

• Contributors
  • Sky Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #50 on: October 08, 2013, 09:13:25 PM »

Why would Scott so suddenly just cut off contact with the DeLeos, stop answering their calls, and go out on a Purple/Core tour on his own for less money, fewer fans, with FAR less talented musicians. The only reason that makes sense is he was slipping back into addiction which the DeLeos would have (rightfully) judged him for, and the Wildabouts would not because he is their meal ticket. It still makes no sense why he would choose to do this so coldly to people he's called family and owes his life to. There had to be some sort of argument or catalyst that caused him to drift so curtly.

Either that or he was so dead set on doing his own thing that he didn't care to give his old friends the time of day. I'm still going with Option A.

Not to get too Yoko Ono, but in between the 2011 dates with STP and the meeting at Scott's house in January 2012, he started seeing his new girlfriend. Not long after the summer 2012 dates, the ones specifically pointed out that he was late for and one was canceled, he got engaged to her.

It seems like right after his engagement they lost contact with him, he refused to say that he would show up to gigs on time, he asked for more money for the tour, then did it with his solo band. He got fired in February and married in June.

So maybe she has a little influence...?
« Last Edit: October 08, 2013, 09:15:19 PM by lovemachine97 »

DankoJones

• Contributors
  • Sky Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #51 on: October 08, 2013, 09:16:20 PM »
Hmm, well John Lennon was a great influence to him;)
"There's a dusty rose where the promise of love used to be"

Slither

• Contributors
  • Sky Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #52 on: October 08, 2013, 10:01:47 PM »
Not to get too Yoko Ono, but in between the 2011 dates with STP and the meeting at Scott's house in January 2012, he started seeing his new girlfriend. Not long after the summer 2012 dates, the ones specifically pointed out that he was late for and one was canceled, he got engaged to her.
It seems like right after his engagement they lost contact with him, he refused to say that he would show up to gigs on time, he asked for more money for the tour, then did it with his solo band. He got fired in February and married in June.
So maybe she has a little influence...?
It's an interesting theory, but find me a woman who would rather her husband constantly be with a group of people who enable him to do more drugs, work for less money, and let him do whatever the hell he wants...well, umm, nevermind, just find her for me  8)
When STP had a cookout after filming the video for the Core single "Plush," Weiland made jerk chicken that was "spectacular," Dean raves.

lovemachine97

• Contributors
  • Sky Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #53 on: October 08, 2013, 10:32:34 PM »
Just floating a possibility. But she met him a little drugged and drunk, right? I was implying that she might be an enabler too.