September 19, 2024, 04:20:44 PM

Author Topic: 2008-05-23 - Indianapolis, IN - Indianapolis Motor Speedway  (Read 8527 times)

Wicked Gardener

• Contributors
  • Co-Pilot
    • View Profile
Re: 2008-05-23 - Indianapolis, IN - Indianapolis Motor Speedway
« Reply #15 on: May 24, 2008, 08:34:01 AM »
Just out of curiosity, does anyone have the complete setlist for this show yet? I'm just curious to see if it's the same.

mpshms

• Arrival
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: May 24, 2008, 05:10:04 PM »
Personally I think the show was pretty bad...the weather probably contributed to that a lot.  It was cold and rainy but we were expecting a great show and for the most part the band just stood there and played.  Weiland was still pretty messed up from the Thursday night show in Chicago.  Overall we were more entertained by "Norm," the guy in the audience bonging beer.  It could have definitely been better, but I guess thats what you get for $10.

down

• Contributors
  • Pilot
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: May 26, 2008, 04:57:10 AM »
i'm in the 6th indystar picture! i'm the one at the rail with the creepy smile while the guy with camo is being pulled out. i've got pics to upload, in time.
All that first class jet-set brings me down, down down,
All that first class drug shit brings me down...

Art School Boy

• Contributors
  • Pilot
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: May 26, 2008, 04:58:28 PM »
back to heaven and hot rods that would be very fitting and that is a great tune. good thinking
i am smellin like a rose that somebody gave me on my birthday deathbed

rymo84

• Contributors
  • Co-Pilot
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: May 27, 2008, 02:31:42 AM »
Just back from Indy....was there for the race as well, so it's my first chance to report.

I thought the show sounded great. I was in Columbus as well and thought this show sounded a whole lot better, althought I was drunk here and not at the Cbus show. As opposed to Cbus I didn't see any dropped microphones or hear very many lyric screw ups, and the small mistakes that were in there were so minor it hardly had an effect on the songs. Song to song it just seemed to run so much more fluid than the week before. Scott dropped in the first verse of Bi-Polar Bear as an intro to one of the songs, I can't remember which one it was though. I thought they were going to break that out for a few seconds.

Scott did mention something about Creep somehow being about Columbine, which made no sense. Columbine happened when I was in high school in about '99 or so, and I'm pretty sure Core had been around a while before that. Maybe he meant another school or maybe he has no idea what he is talking about.

It was the exact same set list as Columbus, pretty much the greatest hits. But that was fine because as I said it sounded as though they are perfecting those hits. Plus the crowd at Indy was drastically different, it was a bunch of people there to drink or watch a race. It was a good crowd to just play the hits to. As I said, I thought it was actually a better experience than Columbus, I didn't have to deal with Disturbed's crowd surfers before-hand and didn't get my face busted open by a flying beer bottle. Oh, plus somehow I just walked into the track without a ticket, so I actually went to this show for free AND got to bring in my own beer. That makes up for the $100 I dropped a week earlier I guess.

They are pretty much done with my neck of the woods for the rest of the tour so who knows when I will see them again.
« Last Edit: May 27, 2008, 02:34:42 AM by rymo84 »

Art School Boy

• Contributors
  • Pilot
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: May 27, 2008, 03:04:23 AM »
dude well im glad for you that you got to see that show. i just wish i could follow them around the country and go to every show so bad.

bubbakja

• Arrival
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: May 27, 2008, 03:05:21 AM »
This was my second STP show and give or take my 8th time seeing Weiland (saw VR everytime they were near me).  The first time I saw STP was at the Hardrock Cafe Rockfest in 2000 w/ Metallica and a slew of other bands.  I was a huge Metallica fan back then and I thought STP blew them away.  Until I saw Rage Against the Machine I had never seen so much energy on stage at once.  I was saddended that I didn't get to see them before they broke up.  So when they were a mere 2 hours from me for only $10 I jumped at the chance, even if I had to stand w/ a bunch of drunk race fans.  I did find it entertaining that half the people in front of me had to leave either before STP came on or during the beginning of the set to take a piss, so we got up close w/o much of a hassle.  That is the reason I don't drink at shows.

The music was amazing ! They opened with Big Empty, which is an odd choice since its a slower song.  Then they ripped through all their classics.  I was with some diehard STP fans who were never able to see them in concert before and they were truely blown away by how awesome Weiland sounded live.  The entire band was spot on.  Their rocked all their tunes like they hadn't ever been apart.  I kind of wish I was at the Chicago show or something so there would be more crowd participation, the sing alongs just aren't as fun when half the audience doesn't know any of the lyrics.  That was the only detraction to the show, well and they didn't play unglued :(

I would like to say, and I don't want to start any BS/Controversey, but Scott seemed a little loopy.  Having seen him so many times with VR he just didn't seem like the same person.  He rambled on a few times w/o making much of a point and just seemed out of it.  The whole thing about creep being influenced by columbine and then multiple times about how he didn't want anyone to go to jail and that everyone should calm down.  I will admit w/ the amount of drunk people there I'm sure he could tell things needed to stay under control, but he just seemed to ramble on. One of the funnier lines he said was along the lines of "While I may have performed with a few of them, we are not Guns N Roses".   I don't want to say anything specific, but I wouldn't be surprised if he was back to his old ways from the STP days of yore. 

That being said, while he couldn't talk very well, his singing was just fantastic.  He truely is one of the best rock singers ever.

Great show !

Here are a few pics:
http://s148.photobucket.com/albums/s22/Bubbakja/STP/
« Last Edit: May 27, 2008, 03:22:18 AM by bubbakja »

Art School Boy

• Contributors
  • Pilot
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: May 27, 2008, 03:08:15 AM »
dude he seriously does have a lot of heart for doing what he did right there

bubbakja

• Arrival
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: May 27, 2008, 03:14:02 AM »
I agree it takes a lot of will to say what he did in front of the crowd.  I think a lot of rock singers would just say screw it to keep their image.  He is a very down to earth guy and knows how to keep things cool.  I wasn't knocking what he said, just seemed like he wasn't speaking to well. 

Art School Boy

• Contributors
  • Pilot
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: May 27, 2008, 03:15:38 AM »
o definately. he is so good too. thank god they are back together. i still have a hard time believing it.