September 24, 2024, 06:26:14 AM

Author Topic: Trouble Coping with Scott’s Death  (Read 3148 times)

Lazy Divey

• Pink love fuzz
  • Contributors
  • Sky Captain
  • Kid'll eat ivy too, wouldn't you?
    • View Profile
Re: Trouble Coping with Scott’s Death
« Reply #15 on: July 27, 2020, 04:08:20 AM »
He abused suboxone for years after quitting heroin which really messed with his head and caused him to hallucinate things like aliens, ninjas or FBI agents after him.  I don't think it was the seizure that caused lasting effects just all the stuff he was abusing inhibited a lot of cognitive function over time.

lovemachine97

• Contributors
  • Sky Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: July 27, 2020, 07:17:02 PM »
I have a lament somewhere on this board when I was ready to post after his death. The big thing for me is that, sadly, I had sort of prepared myself for the day for a long time, and especially so when he seemed so far gone and without anyone around him to convince him to change.

But it also happened when I got older, got married, had other things going on, and music, while it still makes me feel the same way, can't be the same part of my life that it was before. I'm older, and like standing room only shows less. While I am at a time in my life I can afford to go to concerts, despite how expensive they are now, I can't justify the cost for what I am getting in return. I'm not going to hear about a secret acoustic show at Tower Records and, on a whim, decided to drive 2 hours to see the band perform and meet them.

Point being, it made me sad, but not the way it would have had it happened before he was kicked out of the band in 2013.

The larger "sad" for me now is how we treat drug addicts, not just in this country, but in a large part of the world. Scott failed himself, for sure. But society failed him, too, and fails all other addicts. If you really start to take a look at what the worst parts about drug abuse are, they can be traced back to black markets and using the criminal justice system to deal with the fallout. Society shamed Scott for being a junkie, yet tended to deify those who lost their life young to drug and alcohol abuse. As Scott once sang, "Dying with your face on a t-shirt isn't all that original." For surviving--for trying, several times, to be clean--he was the joke. That isn't to say that, perhaps, the result wouldn't have changed if policy and attitudes changed, but I think he would have had a better chance at making it.

Chris Pepper

• Contributors
  • Sky Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: July 27, 2020, 07:29:45 PM »
Sad thread for sure.  Much of what was written resonates pretty loudly for me.

It was his time.  His star shined very bright for a long time but there's rarely a perfect ending for anyone.  Scott was a complicated individual with tons of talent and some very large shortcomings.   

IMJ

• Contributors
  • Sky Captain
    • View Profile
    • Wave1Collectibles
« Reply #18 on: July 30, 2020, 05:17:19 AM »
Scott Weiland died 2.5 months after I lost my Dad in 2015 and two weeks after I had seen his show at the Arcada in St. Charles, IL. It was a terrible year and amidst losing my Dad, Scott was just the icing on the mudcake of awfulness that was 2015 for me.  Just respect his legacy of music and when you tune into an old song let that song tune you in to whatever memory you had of that song from back in the day.
STP Shows: 12/12/1996 | 10/12/2001 | 05/17/2008 | 05/22/2008 | 03/20/2010 | 08/20/2010
CheSTP Shows: 04/23/2015
JeffTP Shows: 09/26/2019
Velvet Revolver Shows: 05/19/2004 | 11/21/2004 | 04/29/2005 | 08/13/2005 | 05/10/2007 (w. Slash signed Setlist) | 08/28/2007
Scott Weiland Shows: 05/10/2014 | 11/20/2015