September 28, 2024, 05:20:55 PM

Author Topic: Happy Birthday S/T 2010... 8 years old today!  (Read 7433 times)

foou33

• Contributors
  • Sky Captain
    • View Profile
Re: Happy Birthday S/T 2010... 8 years old today!
« Reply #45 on: May 31, 2018, 01:50:09 AM »
Because Gutt's work makes me feel so little that I've been physically unable to listen to it all the way through?

Generally, being able to actually stomach a collection of songs without turning them off is a pretty good indicator of whether or not you consider the music any good....

The Art Of Letting Go is the only song on the album that I'm actually down with.

Like "hey I'll just repeat 'thought she'd be mine' a dozen times and we'll call that the chorus." No thanks. I'd rather hear about fancy yogurt and "Swine Flu Sally".

You'd rather hear the chorus "yeah, come on come on now, yeah" than "Thought she'd mine". Ok, cool. Got it.

"You were always my favorite drug, even when we used to take drugs"

CoconutBackwards

• Sky Captain
  • Arrivals
    • View Profile
« Reply #46 on: May 31, 2018, 02:03:10 PM »
You’re literally telling me to expect less from my favorite band and if I did that, they wouldn’t be my favorite.

+100
Hr308: "Cuatro, i nearly did this because 5 g's is nothing to me."

Vaporized - "I can confirm that it's neither Gutt or Borja."

Slither

• Contributors
  • Sky Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #47 on: May 31, 2018, 03:49:14 PM »
Slither, I know you’re a fan of the album and I think that’s great. However, regarding the failure that I perceive the album to be, I hardly think my individual expectations are the problem. STP let tons of fans down with this record, so it can't be just me. You’re literally telling me to expect less from my favorite band and if I did that, they wouldn’t be my favorite. In fact, I refuse to take responsibility for STP’s poor decision making and them playing bad music. The songs are so poorly stitched together it sounds like everyone is doing something different.

Songs like Atlanta and Still Remains signify a band that was working together to complete a cohesive product. Peace is the complete opposite. I know Art of Anarchy isn’t too popular on these boards, but I find the music and melodies to be superior to Peace and Scott also phoned that work in. Let’s also please acknowledge the band has played literally nothing from the album since 2014. 

While I can agree with the general disconnect the band had at the time, I had seen similar behavior with Tiny Music as well as No. 4. Just like with Peace, Scott was the issue on those albums as well. Plus, I’ve read interviews with Dean saying Purple almost never got finished, the band took a much needed break in 1995, and even in 1996 when I saw them, Scott said, “So, you thought STP had a new singer?” My point is that this band has broken up and been in career turmoil many times. However, it never stopped them from making great music later on.

STP’s inconsistency bothers me. We get several great albums, some not so great songs, some singer replacements, and some so-so songs. However, I believe the band still has the power to create terrific material as the strong working components still exist and holding them up against the bar of the past is the bar that they set, not me. 

All fair enough points (maybe excluding the Art of Anarchy praise), but I still contend the continued comparisons to material they put out 10, 15 years prior are not, and were never, realistic. Also, while I think it's categorically untrue to say they were "playing bad music" on this album, you're entitled to your opinion, and I obviously don't hold you personally responsible for any of the bad decisions made during the recording process, and I never intended for that to be the implication.

But yeah, I'm sorta telling you to expect less of your favorite band from the 90s in 2010. I don't think that's a crazy thing to say. They're my favorite band too, as I'd imagine they are for most people on this board, but I don't think everyone went into this album with the same expectations. I just can't envision a scenario where STP puts out an album in 2010 that compares favorably to Purple or Tiny Music, even with a healthy and fully committed Scott.

You said yourself STP's inconsistency bothers you, and I don't think anyone here would disagree with that, but that has to be baked into the equation at some point. Great band + unpredictability + long hiatus = what exactly in 2010?
« Last Edit: May 31, 2018, 03:56:31 PM by Slither »
When STP had a cookout after filming the video for the Core single "Plush," Weiland made jerk chicken that was "spectacular," Dean raves.