July 02, 2024, 07:20:14 AM

Author Topic: Trying Atlanta for the first time  (Read 1937 times)

NickLorenza

• Sky Captain
  • Arrivals
    • View Profile
Trying Atlanta for the first time
« on: September 07, 2017, 05:48:27 AM »
We have a few shows coming up so we had a practice tonight. At practice we did something we never actually have tried as a collective unit..."Atlanta". We only did it once tonight and this is the first time we have ever tried. I am singing and holding a really shitty phone that Im using to record this. Thought Id share.

https://youtu.be/GT0O0vXCk1o

rocker rockstar

• Pilot
    • View Profile
Re: Trying Atlanta for the first time
« Reply #1 on: September 09, 2017, 08:05:04 PM »
Sounds good.   I am sure it sounded better in person.  Good job.  Need someone to record using a tripod and camera.  That way we can see you sing. Or have someone else video it.

Aaron

• Global Moderator
  • Sky Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 11, 2017, 02:34:01 PM »
I was pretty impressed with that.  You're doing a great job of really zeroing in on Scott's tone and the little ways he slides into the notes on Atlanta.  Keep up the great work buddy. 

NickLorenza

• Sky Captain
  • Arrivals
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 12, 2017, 01:48:35 PM »
Thank you. It was recorded with a $20 pay-as-you-go phone from Walgreens so yes, the quality isn't the best. I decided to record it because it was the very first time we were trying "Atlanta" as a collective unit so I saw it as somewhat of a special occasion. It certainly could use a little bit of polishing but I'm confident we'll get there. I am aware that we ended it a little early but I think I have a live performance somewhere in which the band ends it a bit early as well. I do think the song sounds a little naked without the string section but I have never seen the other STP tributes in my area play this song so that in itself is pretty cool.

We have a few upcoming shows and currently are prepping for an acoustic show as our next performance.

9/29- Independence Tap-Chicago, IL

10/27- Penny Road Pub- Barrington, IL

10/29- Reggie's- Chicago, IL

11/4- Rosco's- Milwaukee, WI

12/23- Bungalow Joe's- Hanover Park, IL

Hr308

• Sky Captain
  • Arrivals
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 13, 2017, 04:01:36 AM »

Excellent job my brother. Your timber is good and very baritone, actually more Morrison than Weiland and i am a huge Morrison fan. Well done

Hr308

• Sky Captain
  • Arrivals
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: September 13, 2017, 04:02:26 AM »

Great job Nick

Aaron

• Global Moderator
  • Sky Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: September 14, 2017, 06:43:09 PM »
YES!  Love this place.  I played a show there once and it was just great. I WILL catch you guys one day, so dont split up! ;)

NickLorenza

• Sky Captain
  • Arrivals
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: September 16, 2017, 03:18:49 AM »
YES!  Love this place.  I played a show there once and it was just great. I WILL catch you guys one day, so dont split up! ;)

Believe it or not, as a native to the area I've never actually been there. I know what it is, and I know Local H plays there from time to time but I've just personally never been there. I'm expecting it to be really fun!  We actually had an Indiana show with a few bands set up back in early June for South Bend but a few days before the venue ended up cancelling it. We'll make it out down to Indy at some point.

Aaron

• Global Moderator
  • Sky Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: September 18, 2017, 04:30:00 PM »
Believe it or not, as a native to the area I've never actually been there. I know what it is, and I know Local H plays there from time to time but I've just personally never been there. I'm expecting it to be really fun!  We actually had an Indiana show with a few bands set up back in early June for South Bend but a few days before the venue ended up cancelling it. We'll make it out down to Indy at some point.
We actually had a record guy check us out at Penny Road pub one year.  He was basically like "good music, good stage presence, your drummer is too old, find someone younger."  We thanked him and pretty much ignored that advice.  Our drummer was awesome.  He was 50 at the time, so yes older, but he could play circles around almost anyone.  Throwing out a great musician because of age just seems silly.  Whatever.

Anyway, good luck at your upcoming shows.  I will definitely be crossing my fingers for an Indy show :)

NickLorenza

• Sky Captain
  • Arrivals
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: September 19, 2017, 05:44:42 PM »
I understand the record company's business angle that it's their job to market your brand of rock n' roll to kids; and it's hard to sell to teens someone who realistically is their parents' age. Remember, to a rebellious teen, their parents are the least cool people on the planet. It's cool that some of us are fortunate enough to still rock out well into our middle age, but rock n' roll will always be a young man's world. Especially the cutting edge of it.

With that all being being said, my personal stance is that I totally agree with the decision you made. I would never make a lineup change just for that reason. Then again, I'm not out there trying to sell records, so maybe that's easy for me to say. I only believe in performance based lineup changes. I especially agree with what you did if the drummer you already had possessed a real good chemistry with you guys. Drummers aren't too hard to find, but good drummers are. I've always felt that one thing every band who "makes it" has in common is a superb rhythm section. There are plenty of bands who made it to radio with average to slightly above average guitar players; but none of them had shitty rhythm sections. That bassist/drummer connection is really under rated, but is really the backbone of any rock band,