September 30, 2024, 10:19:28 PM

Author Topic: STP documentaries  (Read 1024 times)

skunkyfunk

• Pilot
  • Arrivals
    • View Profile
STP documentaries
« on: October 03, 2017, 06:46:31 AM »
I am not very versed at documentary collections, but how does STP go when it comes to documentaries?  Do they put documentaries out all the time, when they make albums or go on tour?  Will they put out a documentary for this singer search, you think?

Pingfah

• Contributors
  • Sky Captain
    • View Profile
Re: STP documentaries
« Reply #1 on: October 03, 2017, 12:09:16 PM »
STP have never put anything out for a tour except 2010. No documentaries, no live albums, nothing. They have a staggeringly small amount of officially released audio-visual product.

Their career goes like this:

1. Release album.

2. Tour (maybe).

3. Rinse and repeat (but not too often)

Apart from the 2010 live DVD. That's your lot.

Blue

• Your Friend
  • Contributors
  • Sky Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 03, 2017, 12:43:41 PM »
There's an MTV Rockumentary from the 90s that covers the bands history up to Tiny Music.

Beyond that, they filmed the recording of SLDD for a documentary, but never released it, and the first show of 08 was similarly recorded for a doc about the reunion but again never released.

As for the singer search, Dean recently they recorded the whole process, but considering it sounds like they didn't find a singer through that I'll be surprised if it ever sees the light of day.
« Last Edit: October 03, 2017, 12:45:55 PM by Blue »
Grab the hate and drown it out...

seattlesound

• Sky Captain
  • If night was longer, could I escape the day?
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 03, 2017, 12:46:55 PM »
The band has mentioned at times they like to keep some cards close to the chest... they like to have a little mystique to the vibe of the band... either it was how they really felt, or it became their excuse.

Not really a documentary about this band aside from a MTV or a vh1 thing that was done at some point in late 90s...

There was the "thank you" DVD that was released back in 2003 when the thank you release was done. It is really good... has music videos, and several live performances of various shows. No doc though.

loungefly90

• Pilot
  • You're The Wonder In Everything That's Wonderful..
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: October 03, 2017, 06:16:58 PM »
In critiquing STP's releases, I've always viewed live CDs, live DVDs, and documentaries as sort of extra material. Because STP is my favorite band, I could get all kinds of extra material and it would never be enough. At the same time, while I realize my expectations are somewhat unrealistic, I'd say STP has done an overall poor job at treating fans to the "extra material" I have mentioned. After plenty of cancellations and pitched ideas that never went anywhere, I can't help but compare them to other bands that have released boat loads of extra material: Dave Matthews, Pearl Jam, and Metallica. While STP never really achieved the fame of those groups, even at their highest point, we still didn't see much on the extra end.