October 03, 2024, 01:31:22 AM

Author Topic: Captain America: Civil War  (Read 3620 times)

foou33

• Contributors
  • Sky Captain
    • View Profile
Re: Captain America: Civil War
« Reply #15 on: May 07, 2016, 10:43:11 PM »
there are too many of these avenger movies and their spinoffs.

andrew

• Contributors
  • Sky Captain
  • I'm the milk man
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: May 08, 2016, 04:42:44 AM »
there are too many of these avenger movies and their spinoffs.

Yeah, but it's so much easier to just shit out a sequel or a "reboot" and as uncle Kurdt says "all the kids will eat it up, if it's packaged properly"

It's some sort of conspiracy Jedi mind trick thing. "You've never seen this film before" "This orphaned future Jedi on this desert planet is totally different than Luke Skywalker" "Jakku isn't Tattooine" "the Starkiller base isn't the Death Star" and then there's that whole Jedi master on a self-imposed exile waiting to be found by the galaxy's last hope.

Yet you still have everybody acting like this new film is so great and innovative.

You make them explosions look pretty and you market it right, you've got a blockbuster on your hands. Why try to write an original story with original characters when it's not necessary to put in the effort?

And yeah, I went out and saw The Force Awakens the day it came out and bought the Blue Ray the day it came out. Amd I'll eventually see this new Civil War film.

But to me they're all like fireworks. You've seen em a million times but pretty colors and shit going boom never goes out of style.
Bleeda blooda

Blue

• Your Friend
  • Contributors
  • Sky Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: May 08, 2016, 05:10:58 PM »
I've been quite tired of MCU films, and superhero films in general, myself lately. But I very much enjoyed Civil War and felt it was indeed the best MCU film yet.

It maintained the Bourne-esque action and espionage that made the previous Cap film feel like a breath of fresh air, without falling into that Michael Bay-esque climax of that film and both Avengers movies. It also, I felt, had more character development than that film. Cap 2 was about heroes reacting to a series of revelations, where as Cap 3 is based entirely on characters evolving and as a consequence drifting apart.

It also somehow manages to fit nearly a dozen superheroes into the film without feeling over crowded at all. All the characters get enough screen time to get the audience invested in them, but not so much that it distracts from the main characters.

I feel like this was the best use of Iron Man since the first Iron Man. The character feels like he has finally gone through some form of change, and RDJ's performance gives him far more emotional depth than we've scene. It was the pathos in the character that made the first Iron Man great, and we're finally seeing that again.

And we finally have an actor who is a great Peter Parker AND a great Spider-Man. My one complaint with him is the suit. I don't know if they used CGI or just an extremely cheesy looking material, but I wish they'd done something more along the lines of what they did with Black Panther's suit. I'm also not big on the moving eyes. As someone who grew up with John Romita Jr. and Mark Bagley drawing the character, I wish they stuck with the big white bug-eyes from ASM2... literally the only thing that movie got right.

My one big complaint about the film is that Cap himself doesn't seem to go through much of an arc. It's kind of like The Dark Knight, where it's more about the character surrounding the protagonist than the protagonist himself. I wonder if maybe they would have been better off just marketing it as "Marvel: Civil War." The Marvel stamps is what sells these movies anyway.

Anyway, at the very least the film is the best Avengers film we've gotten.
Grab the hate and drown it out...

foou33

• Contributors
  • Sky Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: May 09, 2016, 12:56:40 AM »

It's some sort of conspiracy Jedi mind trick thing. "You've never seen this film before" "This orphaned future Jedi on this desert planet is totally different than Luke Skywalker" "Jakku isn't Tattooine" "the Starkiller base isn't the Death Star" and then there's that whole Jedi master on a self-imposed exile waiting to be found by the galaxy's last hope.

Yet you still have everybody acting like this new film is so great and innovative.

you forgot to add a sought after droid with a very valuable piece of information.

Blue

• Your Friend
  • Contributors
  • Sky Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: May 09, 2016, 02:03:30 AM »

you forgot to add a sought after droid with a very valuable piece of information.

To be fair, the entire concept of the first Star Wars was based on The Heroes Journey and the idea that all heroes in western fiction have the same story arc... And beyond that, Star Wars itself wasn't based on original ideas so much as a cocktail of influences. So in a lot of ways, the idea of essentially remaking Star Wars with a new cast of characters stays true to the core of the series.

And it's not like that style of sequel is new. James Cameron's movies Aliens and Terminator 2 are considered two of the greatest sci-fi sequels of all time--  the latter is even considered better than the original-- but both are essentially beat-for-beat remakes of the originals, with more characters, bigger effects, and higher stakes.

Another instance would be Spider-Man 2. Considered better than the first, but its basically a remake.

And, of course, on the subject of the Marvel films there's the fact that Iron Man is basically a remake of Batman Begins:

The movie opens with our billionaire hero imprisoned overseas, we then learn who he is through flashback, after the flashback our hero uses tools/abilities given to him by bad guys to destroy said bad guys' lair in a fiery explosions. The hero then returns home, pouring himself into perfecting the tools/abilities he gained and crafting a persona about them.

After an action sequence or two, our hero receives a lecture from his closest confidant about risking his life and abandoning his family business. Almost immediately after said lecture, the hero is attacked in his home by his shady mentor who turns out to be the main villain. Said mentor/villain leaves him for dead in his house, where he is rescued by a helper character. Our hero then suits up and races off to both rescue his girlfriend and stop his mentor villain from using his companies technology for destruction. During the climactic battle, our hero has a supporting character set up a trap that kills the villain in a fiery explosion.

Same movie. Doesn't make Iron Man any less good.
« Last Edit: May 09, 2016, 02:31:20 AM by Blue »
Grab the hate and drown it out...

lovemachine97

• Contributors
  • Sky Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: May 09, 2016, 05:57:54 AM »
Star Wars episode 7 had to work on multiple levels. JJ Abrams really pulled off an impossible feat. It had to be part sequel, part launching point for a new trilogy, part reboot (for those that hadn't seen the originals, and there are people like that), and it had to make up for the mostly awful prequels. And it also had to have new characters people cared about.

So the fact that it mirrored A New Hope so much really makes sense in that context. To do all of that and make the movie entertaining was really a pretty stunning thing to do IMO.

I look forward to Civil War. My wife is pregnant (I got married last summer), nearing her first trimester and has been feeling nauseated for weeks, and no her sciatica is acting up. So we aren't making a lot of trips where she has to sit or stand for a long period of time.

DankoJones

• Contributors
  • Sky Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: May 09, 2016, 05:58:57 PM »
I think its over kill with these superhero movies.
"There's a dusty rose where the promise of love used to be"

Rocketboy

• Cardinal
  • Sky Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: May 27, 2016, 01:47:44 AM »
Late to this party, but I tend to be a Marvel zombie to the core. The Marvel flick's aren't without their flaws, but they are always top quality.

Civil War is a great flick. I wouldn't call it Marvel's best, but it's up there. I love how it works as both a sequel for Captain America and The Avengers.
I absolutely love the entire airport scene - so much fun.
The Stark revelation was mostly spelled out in The Winter Soldier, so I'm a bit surprised people were shocked by it.
Spider-Man - welcome home to your real family: Marvel. Tobey Maguire wwas a decent Parker, but boring Spider-Man. Andrew Garfield was a great Spider-Man, but his Parker was "too cool."

The Dark Knight - The only thing Heath Ledger's death accomplished was getting an Oscar. Otherwise, he wouldn't have even been nominated (despite his great performance).
Ledger aside, this is one of the best crime films in years. It just happens to have a guy in a bat costume.

Batman v Superman - what a fucking mess this flick was. The plot made little-to-no sense with so much crammed in there, including taking a timeout for teaser trailers. I have a lot of concern for the DC movies.
They got a lot of Batman right (except for the whole murdering people), but the brief bits of Wonder Woman were great. She was easily the best part of the movie.

Deadpool - So much fun that the plot holes are easily forgivable.

Daredevil - Strong second season. The Punisher stuff was amazing. Elektra was yawn inducing.

Star Wars: The Force Awakens - Yes, it takes a lot of beats from A New Hope (Abrahms has admitted this). Does it make it any less fun? Not for me. I love this flick from start to finish. JJ revitalized the franchise and I can't wait for more.

CoconutBackwards

• Sky Captain
  • Arrivals
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: May 27, 2016, 02:08:36 PM »
Late to this party, but I tend to be a Marvel zombie to the core. The Marvel flick's aren't without their flaws, but they are always top quality.

Civil War is a great flick. I wouldn't call it Marvel's best, but it's up there. I love how it works as both a sequel for Captain America and The Avengers.
I absolutely love the entire airport scene - so much fun.
The Stark revelation was mostly spelled out in The Winter Soldier, so I'm a bit surprised people were shocked by it.
Spider-Man - welcome home to your real family: Marvel. Tobey Maguire wwas a decent Parker, but boring Spider-Man. Andrew Garfield was a great Spider-Man, but his Parker was "too cool."

The Dark Knight - The only thing Heath Ledger's death accomplished was getting an Oscar. Otherwise, he wouldn't have even been nominated (despite his great performance).
Ledger aside, this is one of the best crime films in years. It just happens to have a guy in a bat costume.

Batman v Superman - what a fucking mess this flick was. The plot made little-to-no sense with so much crammed in there, including taking a timeout for teaser trailers. I have a lot of concern for the DC movies.
They got a lot of Batman right (except for the whole murdering people), but the brief bits of Wonder Woman were great. She was easily the best part of the movie.

Deadpool - So much fun that the plot holes are easily forgivable.

Daredevil - Strong second season. The Punisher stuff was amazing. Elektra was yawn inducing.

Star Wars: The Force Awakens - Yes, it takes a lot of beats from A New Hope (Abrahms has admitted this). Does it make it any less fun? Not for me. I love this flick from start to finish. JJ revitalized the franchise and I can't wait for more.

I agree that Wonder Woman is an awesome character, but they fucked her all up.  I don't understand how you can complain about how much they crammed in and then say Wonder Woman was awesome?  There was no backstory or anything on her.  She was the most crammed in part of this movie in my opinion.
Hr308: "Cuatro, i nearly did this because 5 g's is nothing to me."

Vaporized - "I can confirm that it's neither Gutt or Borja."

DrLymphNode

• Pilot
  • Arrivals
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: June 02, 2016, 03:41:36 PM »
Civil War was a finely made movie, but I still think marvels overall best film is Guardians. That airport scene will go down as a classic.