September 20, 2024, 10:41:38 PM

Author Topic: Another New Scott Weiland Interview  (Read 3600 times)

Blue

• Your Friend
  • Contributors
  • Sky Captain
    • View Profile
Re: Another New Scott Weiland Interview
« Reply #15 on: November 16, 2015, 06:37:57 PM »
Who the fuck are you to assume where Scott's "addiction issues stem from"?

Are you some sort of psychic, or more likely (but also not even likely at all), a person who Scott's doctor is sharing confidential information with?

Or maybe I've actually read interviews with Weiland, seeing how he freely admits he's never been comfortable in front of crowds and that's what lead to his heroin problem.

It wasn’t stage fright as much as social fright. I’ve never felt comfortable in crowds. I remember before we ever made it big or even got signed, going into my favourite bar where I knew virtually everybody, and just walking in and being looked at, I didn’t feel comfortable. Unfortunately, when I started doing heroin in 1993, that took away that fright. I didn’t care who was looking at me."

Yeah.... The DeLeos chose Chester because he's "passionate", not because he's the singer of the only fucking "rock" band besides the Foo Fighters that can sell a lot of albums.

And yet they did an independent EP with him instead of a a full length studio album through a major label, and only toured sporadically because of LP. They could have easily signed with Warner Brothers with Chester on board and gotten a lot more marketing behind High Rise, and seen a lot better returns. Speaking of music labels:

All true and very accurate... but you forgot one thing.

The DeLeo's also decided to "save money" by cutting out Brendan O'Brien, and self producing S/T.  Another fantastic choice on their part.

This theory doesn't make sense. S/T was financed by Atlantic. The band didn't save any money by self producing, they just saved money in Atlantic's budget.

Look, I'm not saying the DeLeos are saints who are only in it for the passion. Everyone wants money, even if they love their job. Robert Downey Jr loves acting in Iron Man movies, I don't see him doing it for free.

And I'm not saying the Deleos are saints.  The truth of the matter is the Deleos' ugly little sin is pride, not greed.

They self produced S/T because they were too proud to let another producer touch it, and thought they were every bit as good as someone like Brendan or Don Was. They hired Chester because he has basically no ego and he idolizes them to the point of worship... By hiring him, they were absolutely guaranteeing they had full control of the band.

And it was wounded pride that got STP back together in the first place. After AoA bombed they needed validation, and STP touring big festivals was pretty darn big validation.

And unfortunately, pride is why the band is still going after Chester left, when in the end they should call it quits and start a new project. Whatever their motivations, I think they were in the right about giving STP a new lease on life... But that shot is over.
Grab the hate and drown it out...

The Legacy

• Contributors
  • Sky Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: November 16, 2015, 06:43:24 PM »
Who the fuck are you to assume where Scott's "addiction issues stem from"?

Are you some sort of psychic, or more likely (but also not even likely at all), a person who Scott's doctor is sharing confidential information with?

Or maybe I've actually read interviews with Weiland, seeing how he freely admits he's never been comfortable in front of crowds and that's what lead to his heroin problem.

It wasn’t stage fright as much as social fright. I’ve never felt comfortable in crowds. I remember before we ever made it big or even got signed, going into my favourite bar where I knew virtually everybody, and just walking in and being looked at, I didn’t feel comfortable. Unfortunately, when I started doing heroin in 1993, that took away that fright. I didn’t care who was looking at me."

Yeah.... The DeLeos chose Chester because he's "passionate", not because he's the singer of the only fucking "rock" band besides the Foo Fighters that can sell a lot of albums.

And yet they did an independent EP with him instead of a a full length studio album through a major label, and only toured sporadically because of LP. They could have easily signed with Warner Brothers with Chester on board and gotten a lot more marketing behind High Rise, and seen a lot better returns. Speaking of music labels:

All true and very accurate... but you forgot one thing.

The DeLeo's also decided to "save money" by cutting out Brendan O'Brien, and self producing S/T.  Another fantastic choice on their part.

This theory doesn't make sense. S/T was financed by Atlantic. The band didn't save any money by self producing, they just saved money in Atlantic's budget.

Look, I'm not saying the DeLeos are saints who are only in it for the passion. Everyone wants money, even if they love their job. Robert Downey Jr loves acting in Iron Man movies, I don't see him doing it for free.

And I'm not saying the Deleos are saints.  The truth of the matter is the Deleos' ugly little sin is pride, not greed.

They self produced S/T because they were too proud to let another producer touch it, and thought they were every bit as good as someone like Brendan or Don Was. They hired Chester because he has basically no ego and he idolizes them to the point of worship... By hiring him, they were absolutely guaranteeing they had full control of the band.

And it was wounded pride that got STP back together in the first place. After AoA bombed they needed validation, and STP touring big festivals was pretty darn big validation.

And unfortunately, pride is why the band is still going after Chester left, when in the end they should call it quits and start a new project. Whatever their motivations, I think they were in the right about giving STP a new lease on life... But that shot is over.

uhh i don't think them producing just saved atlantic money, i would imagine they got paid from atlantic for producing it not to mention billing atlantic for studio time, equipment rental and such. i mean i don't think that the producing thing was a cash grab as much as an ego thing but its not like it wasn't financially beneficial to them.

Blue

• Your Friend
  • Contributors
  • Sky Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: November 16, 2015, 06:55:41 PM »
uhh i don't think them producing just saved atlantic money, i would imagine they got paid from atlantic for producing it not to mention billing atlantic for studio time, equipment rental and such. i mean i don't think that the producing thing was a cash grab as much as an ego thing but its not like it wasn't financially beneficial to them.

I don't imagine Atlantic paid them to use their own equipment. That would be like paying Dean rental fees whenever he uses his own guitars.

As far as the producers salary, it seems Atlantic and Weiland were keen on using Don Was, who did work on the album. I can't imagine Atlantic would be keen on paying the band to produce after already paying Don Was' salary to provide them with a producer.

I really think the self production was an ego thing.
« Last Edit: November 16, 2015, 06:58:32 PM by Blue »
Grab the hate and drown it out...

The Legacy

• Contributors
  • Sky Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: November 16, 2015, 07:20:37 PM »

I don't imagine Atlantic paid them to use their own equipment. That would be like paying Dean rental fees whenever he uses his own guitars.
For the record, from the outside looking in that seems logical but they are not the same at all. Instruments are seen as part of the musician but studios are not seen as part of the producer.

Pingfah

• Contributors
  • Sky Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: November 16, 2015, 07:55:30 PM »
I think all the production stuff depends on the contract they have with Atlantic. Maybe Atlantic paid them to produce, then recouped it out of the unit sales, maybe they did it for free so the label would have less say in what they recorded. Without reading the contract there's just too many possibilities to know with any certainty.

IIRC, they recorded it under their original contract? I doubt that the contract they signed before Core was particularly favourable to the band.

CritterTypeThing

• Contributors
  • Sky Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: November 16, 2015, 09:13:51 PM »
The DeLeos being able to afford to get into bed with Chester and his limited schedule, doesn't negate the fact that they were completely up front that the STP reunion was 100% inspired by $$$, as opposed to the need to be creative or their respect for the legacy.

Additionally, when they finally did tour with Chester, the ticket prices were still $60+.  The same they were charging WITH Scott.  To not have the self-awareness that both their product and its demand is a tad different, does somewhat suggest they aren't too willing to dip below a certain status.

Keep in mind, they all made a nice chunk of $$$ with the reunion.  So reading into passion vs. finance is a little different when their bank accounts are in excellent standing.  Let's see what happens 5 or so years down the line if the band still can't figure out how to be successful without Scott.  They are 0-3 thus far.
Hold me closer.....closer.....let me go!

My STP Concertology:  6/22/01, 10/26/01, 4/21/02, 4/23/02, 5/18/08, 5/26/08, 5/31/08, 8/6/08, 8/8/08, 8/10/08, 7/17/09, 5/18/10, 9/3/10, 9/4/10, 7/25/11, 7/26/11, 9/10/11, 9/1/12, 5/6/18