September 22, 2024, 12:00:53 AM

Author Topic: 'Blaster' Vs 'Art of Anarchy'... Which album do you prefer?  (Read 2504 times)

CagedTiger

• Contributors
  • Sky Captain
    • View Profile
'Blaster' Vs 'Art of Anarchy'... Which album do you prefer?
« on: September 11, 2015, 07:22:23 AM »
Inspired by Casual's recent poll and also because I'm genuinely interested in people's opinions on this...

Which album did you prefer - 'Blaster' or 'Art of Anarchy'?

First of all I would like to say I think we were really lucky to get 2 albums from Scott Weiland in the same year, especially at this stage in the game. I am also a big fan of both albums but for me AOA wins the contest.
I feel overall it is a stronger album, vocally, lyrically and production wise. I just enjoy the songs on it more. Again I'm not bashing 'Blaster' and I'd be interested to hear a follow up to it but I find myself listening to the AOA album a lot more.

Nothing matters again, I didn\'t think we\'d last that long

Pingfah

• Contributors
  • Sky Captain
    • View Profile
Re: 'Blaster' Vs 'Art of Anarchy'... Which album do you prefer?
« Reply #1 on: September 11, 2015, 08:46:54 AM »
I think Blaster is much more diverse and interesting than Art of Anarchy, better songwriting, not better playing, but more interesting playing. Only thing that is remarkably stronger on AoA is the quality of Scott's vocals, which are quite excellent. On Blaster, he's written really good melodies, but his performance is very subpar.

AoA was a surprise because I thought it would be utter shite, and it turned out to be pretty good, and a way more viable commercial vehicle for him than his solo act had he gone down that route, but it's not at all inspired.

drynaski

• Contributors
  • Co-Pilot
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 11, 2015, 02:39:13 PM »
The production of Blaster is the biggest drawback. I enjoy all of the songs music and usually performance-wise. The recording and production of Modzilla, Hotel Rio, and Circles ruin the songs for me. I want to enjoy these songs, but you can barely hear Scott on Modzilla, Hotel Rio sounds like an autotuned chopped up vocal mess, and the autotune on Circles sounds crappy too. I still listen to the album regularly, but I skip over these songs due to these blaring mistakes. It drives me nuts that Rocco and the rest of the crew seem obsessed with microphones and being at Abbey Road studios on social media, when they let these recording mistakes slide through the cracks.

I agree tho that the songs are more interesting on Blaster, but the production on AOA sounds better. The White Stripes managed to put out many 'low-fi' albums that still sounded professional... maybe Scott's crew can learn a few things from whoever worked on those.
« Last Edit: September 11, 2015, 02:41:27 PM by drynaski »

Slither

• Contributors
  • Sky Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 11, 2015, 02:48:48 PM »
I think the key word here, which Pingfah used above, is "interesting". While AoA was more successful for Scott, I believe that is more of a reflection of the lowering standards held by the masses than it is a testament to its actual musical pedigree. AoA is far more easily accessible than Blaster - a retro, fuzzy record without the multi-million dollar backing of two trust fund babies on guitar and drums featuring hired guns you may know from the blasphemous current incarnation of GNR and that one guy from Disturbed who must have been desperate for work.

AoA is boring, generic, recycled dropped tuning crap from the early 00s. Blaster combines blues, alt rock, and pop rock in a way not many bands are doing. While Blaster is not even close to Scott's best work, AoA is his biggest mail-in.
When STP had a cookout after filming the video for the Core single "Plush," Weiland made jerk chicken that was "spectacular," Dean raves.

artsyblacksmith

• Contributors
  • Pilot
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 11, 2015, 05:16:10 PM »
Art of anarchy is an awesome record despite all the band members backgrounds, whatever, it is an awesome record musically. I enjoy the hell out of the "edge" that Scott brings to it lyrically, vocally and melodically. Killer album.

Blaster is awesome too, I personally could have done without "the way she moves", "beach pop rock", and the song "20 century boy". Circles could have been slower tempo, and parachute should have been faster tempo. The rest of the album is awesome as well. Scott should play the whole album live.... Don't understand him sometimes.

Down-Plush

• Chameleon
  • Contributors
  • Sky Captain
  • Sing the song, or keep it inside.
    • View Profile
    • My bandcamp
« Reply #5 on: September 11, 2015, 09:25:04 PM »
I'm not exactly huge on either album if I'm being honest, though I'd definitely have to say Blaster wins this one for me. Blaster has a pretty defined identity of its own, be that good or bad is up to you. AoA however, very cluncky, chugging, generic "cock rock" as I like to call it. It's got a very cookie-cutter, radio rock kind of feeling to it. Some people dig that sort of thing, it's not for me though. I also feel like Scott's voice doesn't hold up as well with AoA's stuff. It works better on Blaster because it's got a kind of garage rock, blues, psychedelic thing going on but with AoA, they're trying for hard rock and it just doesn't meld as well as they'd probably like it to. Just my thoughts on it.

CagedTiger

• Contributors
  • Sky Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: September 15, 2015, 08:57:46 AM »
While I thought 'Blaster' would ultimately win out on this board I must say I'm shocked by the landslide vote of 8 to 1!! AOA seemed to get generally favourable reviews around here in the end though after the initial backlash that the first clips received. I might make the next poll 'Get on Down' Vs 'Beach Pop' just so AOA can win something round here!

That's a joke btw!

I also agree with artsy blacksmith regarding 'Circles', with better production and a slower tempo like the live version it really could've been the jewel in the crown on 'Blaster' and up there with some of Scott's best songs I think. The live version is beautiful but the studio version is over too soon and just doesn't sound right  :-\

Oh well, here's to more albums from Scotty in the future :)
« Last Edit: September 15, 2015, 09:00:14 AM by CagedTiger »
Nothing matters again, I didn\'t think we\'d last that long

Jim The Stimulator

• The Habs Fan
  • Contributors
  • Sky Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: September 15, 2015, 02:05:22 PM »
Art of Anarchy is a good album but Blaster wins easily.  Blaster is better and more inspired than the self-titled STP album IMO.
We like the cars...the cars that go BOOM!

Casual

• Contributors
  • Sky Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: September 16, 2015, 05:17:32 AM »
I placed a second vote for AoA.  I like both but just feel that Blaster lacks punch. I do like Way She Moves, Beach Pop, Blue Eyes, Bleed Out, and some other melodies but feel that it is kind of flat overall. Doesn't really hold up to the other two solo albums.  Liked it at first but got kind of bored with it.

I feel that AOA is great for what it is. It is more of the sound I like from Scott. Definitely more catchy, modern, edgy. I have found myself listening to it more. Definitely has more replay value. Can't really put my finger on it, but feels like it has more swagger.
« Last Edit: September 16, 2015, 05:22:01 AM by Casual »

lovemachine97

• Contributors
  • Sky Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: September 16, 2015, 05:59:49 AM »
I really dislike Blaster's production. I get where he was going with it, but even QOTSA albums have much more depth to them. The sound is more three dimensional. Blaster just sounds flat and lifeless to me--which sucks because a righteous riff like Modzilla should really be more in your face.

Art of Anarchy has some songs that I enjoy, but really I look at it like generic rock--like even the first Godsmack album is more interesting, and that's some generic stuff right there.

It's nice hearing Scott sound good, but VR was just much more interesting, as is his solo work.