September 20, 2024, 12:37:59 PM

Author Topic: New to this forum  (Read 3062 times)

seattlesound

• Sky Captain
  • If night was longer, could I escape the day?
    • View Profile
Re: New to this forum
« Reply #15 on: December 31, 2015, 09:45:41 PM »
Welcome to the STP club 8)

STP stands alone from the 90s bands. Just as you were saying in your original post. Such a special group of guys getting together and went on to make these amazing pieces of music that we all listen to.

I do not agree that STP stands alone from the 90s bands.

They are as much a part of my beloved 90s as AIC are.

Oh yeah, I was just referring to how STP would change gears from album to album... a lot of times from song to song on albums and they sounded so good no matter the style they were playing. I place STP in a spot of their own for being able to do that so well.  8)

MAJOR METAL

• Contributors
  • Sky Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: December 31, 2015, 10:10:25 PM »
Please to meet you! For a lot of us, this was the golden age of STP https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Z8CB3b1GmLs
If you should die before me ask if you could bring a friend.
Pick a flower hold your breath and drift away.

I-want-a-time-machine

• Pilot
  • Arrivals
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: January 19, 2016, 11:06:50 PM »
@gothsocialite, I can really relate to what you are saying, although I had been a fan since Core(one of the first cds I ever bought) I feel almost guilty to have lost interest in whatever STP or Scott were doing later in the nineties, it may sound silly now that he is dead. I vaguely remember seeing barbarella on MTV, liking it but I had my own problems with certain substances back then, going broke and not having access to new music for awhile, then i became an Art School Girl en was just busy all the time, did not even know about no.4 or Shangri. I live in a country where people still thought/think that STP was a bad Pearl Jam(Pearl Jam was really huge here because they played the biggest festival here, pinkpop, en made a big impression live on television) copy so there was not much attention for those albums in the media.) My taste in music changed , I started to believe that the grungy sounds i liked before would only remind me of my worst days mid to late nineties, the self-destructive drug induced misery I had just re-emerged of so I blocked everything grunge related including STP until this december. Then his death hit me like a 10 ton brick and started reliving the nineties all over again but in a more positive way, it wasn't all bad, in fact i missed out on so much great stuff(12 bar blues, no 4, shangri, happy), now i just want to go back in time(hence my username), approaching 40 now and I feel old damn it! Time went by toooo fast...
« Last Edit: January 19, 2016, 11:24:59 PM by I-want-a-time-machine »
half the art school girl she used to be...

leocal79

• Pilot
  • Arrivals
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: January 20, 2016, 02:20:11 AM »
I see allot of people seem to have rediscovered STP. I posted on this board on and off years ago but lost my user name and ID. I have been following these guys since Core. Now that Scott is gone I feel the need to have the rest of the guys try to regain their success even more hopefully uninhibited unlike before. It is sort of a rebirth for STP or whatever they choose to do. I am here to support them and hopefully grow this community. I have been listening back to Talk Show, AOA, STP with Chester they all have their own thing to add to their legacy. We will see what happens going forward. What I loved about STP was nothing ever sounded the same.

NickLorenza

• Sky Captain
  • Arrivals
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: January 20, 2016, 02:45:41 AM »
i just want to go back in time(hence my username), approaching 40 now and I feel old damn it! Time went by toooo fast...

Rest assured you're not alone. I'm sure a bunch of people feel like this.  I feel this way at moments too. I'm about to be 33 and in my life I feel as though from the time I turned 16 in 1999 until now time just kind of went by in a blur. It was all too fast and I constantly catch myself looking back to that point and thinking "I can't believe that was all THAT long ago." Then I ask myself "what have I accomplished in that timeframe?"  I missed out on a few golden opportunities to see STP during the No.4 era by choice which I now completely regret. In the moment I just figured they'd always be around and always be in top form; so the excuse of "next time" was always good enough for me. Now, like you I also wish I had a time machine so I could go back and see those shows. I'm thankful however to have caught their last performance in my city during the Shangri La Dee Da era. That was a memory I'll never forget.

I-want-a-time-machine

• Pilot
  • Arrivals
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: January 20, 2016, 10:24:39 PM »
Missed out on the 1993 clubtour through the Netherlands and the lowlands festival, I begged my parents but they would not let me go(that festival had a great line up and all my friends were going, tool was there too, another band I really wanted to see) and had to visit grandma instead, bummer...later that year I got to see AIC and soundgarden, even had tickets for nirvana may 8th 94 but you all know what happened a month earlier ;)... I have seen quite a lot of bands in the nineties. But no, I never saw STP live.
half the art school girl she used to be...